4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Some Help On Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default Need Some Help On Exhaust Leak

I need some help from you guys. I think I may have an exhaust leak. But I don't know because I've never heard one and don't know what one sounds like. I just got my car tuned a week ago and the tune is good, so I know the noise is not coming from the engine. And I've had my exhaust on for about two weeks and it didn't make the noise before the exhaust.

It sounds like it's coming directly from underneath my right foot. So I'm thinking it's at either the passenger side or driver side manifold. It sounds more like it's coming from the passenger side. I can feel the vibration it causes underneath my right foot as I accelerate. The sound isn't too violent though. And other people don't even really hear it over my exhaust unless I mention it. And even then it's still hardto hear.But I hear it all the time and it annoys the **** out of me. The sound is a ticking noise that progresses when I accelerate. After I get up there in the higher RPM's, it does get drowned out by my exhaust. Does this sound like an exhaust leak?.. Does anyone have a sound clip of an exhaust leak? I know it's not detonation because I just got the car tuned and the tune is good.

Any ideas or suggestions as to if this is an exhaust leak or not?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Some Help On Exhaust Leak

That sounds exactly like the leak that I have at my pass. manifold. It wasnt doing it at first, then after about 2 or 3 weeks of having my exhaust on it started. I called a couple places and they told me that it was from where the exhaust has settled into place and that the bolts need retightened.

If I were keeping my current set-up I'd fix it, but I'm not, so I wont.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I've had simular problems with mine. The best and easiest thing to do is get the car up and look for carbon around where the pipes come together at. With new pipes it makes it simple. I've been fighting the same battle but mine does it on the catback. Initally I had a header leak because I replaced those too. Had to change that gasket. But if you feel it or hear it around the your floor panel, and you didn't have your headers changed, then just check the bolts where the midpipe connects to the headers at. The exhaust has alot of vibrations in it so you might have loose bolts like GTHOPFUL mentioned.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

yea i got the same problem im hopein to jus be able to take it to the shop and jus have them go through the trouble of liftin the engine to retighten the bolts.. because i really dont feel like havin to unbolt the engine and lift it up and try and do it again, and not tightin it enough. does anyone know how much there supposed to be tightened.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll jack it up and retighten the bolts when I get the chance.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

MEX69, retighting the header bolts aren't so bad. I'm not a fan of locktite, so I went to lowes and got some grade 8 quality lockwashers and taped the bolts before putting them back on, only took an hour and a half, do to having to remove the driver side header to replace the gasket. I found it easier though to just take the motor mount bolt off of the side your working on and lifting just that side. It seems to me that there is more room that way.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

yea brandon you got an exhaust leak. Right after I installed my catback it was leakin like a week later, i just brought it back and had them retighten it. And when i put my trans in it did EXACTLY what you described come to find out it was the gasket on the passenger side. It got fried some how. but I am 100% sure you got a exhaust leak.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:06 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

MEX69, retighting the header bolts aren't so bad. I'm not a fan of locktite, so I went to lowes and got some grade 8 quality lockwashers and taped the bolts before putting them back on, only took an hour and a half, do to having to remove the driver side header to replace the gasket. I found it easier though to just take the motor mount bolt off of the side your working on and lifting just that side. It seems to me that there is more room that way.
Hey when you put your headers on ..Did you have to do that whole K-member bull****?
Or were you able to do so by removing the mount ?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

yea brandon you got an exhaust leak. Right after I installed my catback it was leakin like a week later, i just brought it back and had them retighten it. And when i put my trans in it did EXACTLY what you described come to find out it was the gasket on the passenger side. It got fried some how. but I am 100% sure you got a exhaust leak.
Cool, thanks bro. And thanks everyone else for the help.