4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does this turbo kit seem promising?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Does this turbo kit seem promising?

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

Do they put out more power on less boost yes. Will the motor last more than 1000 miles... doubt it. There is too much variable in a turbo setup for a factory non f/i car without forged internals to take for too long. Look back at the people who have had turbos on this site with stock motor and see how many passes or miles they made it before the motor popped.
turbo's are just as reliable as a supercharger.. Yes, it is harder to tune, but once it's dialed in, I would highly doubt ANYBODY would have a problem with it... The reason most people choose a supercharger over them is simply because of cost.. You can put the motor to the max with less money spent.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

stock motors don't like turbos. I will tell you that it is a pretty good price but you still need a manifold and a downpipe. Shouldn't be too hard to come buy but unless you have experience installing a custom turbo i wouldn't attempt it. Go to a shop and see what it would cost for an install if you provide the parts and also what it would cost for a kit + install. That is what I would base my decision on.
They like them more than superchargers...
Do they put out more power on less boost yes. Will the motor last more than 1000 miles... doubt it. There is too much variable in a turbo setup for a factory non f/i car without forged internals to take for too long. Look back at the people who have had turbos on this site with stock motor and see how many passes or miles they made it before the motor popped.
As long as they arent going huge on the power, it will actually put less strain on the motor since it doesnt run off a belt. Hell all the motor knows is that its getting more air. A turbocharged car will last just as long as a supercharged car.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

This car is a daily driver and will likely be kept that way. I plan on running relatively low boost (5-7 PSI range)... We're getting a lift in my garage along with tons of tools...And my buddy is extremely familiar with turbocharging systems (he has an Eagle Talon with around 600whp). I think with his help and a lot of elbow grease and a basketball full of patience, I can pull this off.

I need some more info/opinions. Keep it comin!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glen

This car is a daily driver and will likely be kept that way. I plan on running relatively low boost (5-7 PSI range)... We're getting a lift in my garage along with tons of tools...And my buddy is extremely familiar with turbocharging systems (he has an Eagle Talon with around 600whp). I think with his help and a lot of elbow grease and a basketball full of patience, I can pull this off.

I need some more info/opinions. Keep it comin!
Installing it wont be the hard part. But you will need completely new piping. Do you have a mandrel tube bender? Do you have a welder? Can you weld decently?Do you know how to make a hotside header? Do you know enough about how turbochargers work to build a whole system?