4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Piston to spark plug contact. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Quicktimeracing

Default Piston to spark plug contact. Any ideas?

I have an 01 Roush thats pushing about 11psi. I've had the blower on the car for about 1,000 miles now and last week I started to have a miss. I pulled the plugs and found one of them had been pinched off by the piston. I installed a new set of NGK TR6's @ .037 and drove it fine for about 75 miles until I jumped on it again and of course at 5700rpm it seems the piston has tagged a plug again as I have my same ol' miss back.

I'm going to pull the plugs again to confirm but I am almost positive it's going to be gapless again. Is there a shorter plug I should run or am I a victim of rod stretch soon to become rod break? What have you guys done to remedy this? Is there a better solution than installing some quality rods? -Trent
Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Piston to spark plug contact. Any ideas?

Detonation will close your plug gap. No more "test runs" until you get her on a wide-band and see what you A/F is[8D]
Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Quicktimeracing

When I had the car tuned and dyno'd the A/F was right on track all across the board with no signs of going lean. Would detonation really close a gap anyhow? I heard no pinging at any point when I was on it... -Trent
Old 04-08-2007, 04:57 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quicktimeracing

When I had the car tuned and dyno'd the A/F was right on track all across the board with no signs of going lean. Would detonation really close a gap anyhow? I heard no pinging at any point when I was on it... -Trent
True, but conditions change sometimes. I've seen/heard of several plugs being closed by detonation as well as several engines exploding and the owner never heard and ping or rattle. Don't take a chance on a nice car[8D]
Old 04-08-2007, 05:01 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Read the first post.......http://forums.modulardepot.com/power...-2v-turbo.html
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Quicktimeracing

ORIGINAL: JayC

True, but conditions change sometimes. I've seen/heard of several plugs being closed by detonation as well as several engines exploding and the owner never heard and ping or rattle. Don't take a chance on a nice car[8D]
I just picked up a new plug and pretty cool flash light from Checkers and after looking down the spark plug hole I can see where the piston is marked from contact. I suppose now it's a question of rod stretch or perhaps something else?

Old 04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

I just picked up a new plug and pretty cool flash light from Checkers and after looking down the spark plug hole I can see where the piston is marked from contact. I suppose now it's a question of rod stretch or perhaps something else?

I've never heard of PTV problems with stock cams....do you have aftermarket cams?