4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

swaying left and right in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: swaying left and right in rear end

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Rear sway bar could be broken/loose?\

I took the front sway bar off mine, and the front tires will do that pretty severly
front tires doing what? bumpsteer?? follow grooves? or hop a bit in the corners?

yea for some reason there have been alot of gt owners with broken rear sway bars from regular dd... I've been hammering my car pretty hard through corners and havent had them break yet.

Also with a rear sway and no front sway your probably experiencing a lot of oversteer through corners.

With
It just body rolls HARD. And when coming to a stop, each side will follow grooves. Its crazy. I do NO aggressive cornering EVER, so I wouldnt know about the oversteer, although I can imagine you are precisely correct.

you do not have to corner hard to experience oversteer. Oversteer happens when you corner. With you saying you have HARD body roll, sounds like you may have a blown shock/strut, our cars feel like boats (suspension wise) but it should not roll that badly. Push down on the corners of your car, 1 by 1 and see if any of them just bounce up and down, if you can find one then that means that side of the car is just running on the springs and your gonna hafta replace the shock or strut that is there (strut is the front and shocks are the rear). The meandering front is normal up to a point, most of us experience it due to our aggressiveness with tires, the wider the tire in the front the more likelier it is to gollow grooves.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: swaying left and right in rear end

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: 04mineralgreyGT

I thought what he is experiencing is "bumpsteer"? Guess not. I haven't had this problem in my 04 GT but did get alot of it in my lowered 98 Ranger.
bump steer has to do with the front of the car, it's when you hit a bump or any other debri on the road and it causes your car to steer in a direction, that you as a driver, did not intend it to. Main difference is the feel of the car when it's bumpsteer and when its the crappy placement of the uca's. Also in most cases the bumpsteer problem is caused by cheap owners that drop their car with stock struts and no c/c plates. This combo will not allow proper suspension travel, car will not be aligned right, struts will be in a weird position, tires will be worn quicker, and you will feel bumpsteer quite a bit more than you'd like
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying that for me. I wasn't sure what exactly "bumpsteer" was.