4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Sounds like a killer setup. I dunno if you researched the different forgings, but the 2618s are a little tougher. Did you get them for a steal? There are some stock bore 16cc DSS pistons on ebay right now for 50 bucks no reserve, 20 hrs left. Might wanna check those out.

I spun a bearing and am rebuilding mine with forged internals(sloooowly) too. Cant wait to get it back on the road.
2618 is "harder", but not necessarily "tougher". There is nickel and sometimes, other alloys in with the aluminum. That and the manufacturing method make the final product. There are some really good 2618 pistons out there. Mahle, worldwide, does more high tech racing than the others. They do Formula 1 and snooty stuff. They make a very good product. The ones I "bought" were about $700+ (no rings) most places. I got them for $560 with ring set. But I don't want to pay that for Ford Cobrarods made by Mahle. They are not the same specs. They may be fine, but won't cost nearly that. Good luck with the rebuild.
Think you got em backwards. The 4032 is a little harder and less prone to scuffing, but also less forgiving. The 2618 is tougher because it is a tad softer and can withstand a little more detonation that the 4032. However, with the 4032 you can run a tigher piston/wall clearance because they don't expand as much. 2618s can be noisy on start up because of piston slap; the result of the required larger piston/wall clearance. I got a deal on the CP pistons I have, theyre 2618 aluminum. If I didnt get these I would have gone with 4032 pistons. GL with your build too man.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Poppy, I justreplied to your post.......

https://mustangforums.com/m_3038865/...tm.htm#3039828

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Casey
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a killer setup. I dunno if you researched the different forgings, but the 2618s are a little tougher. Did you get them for a steal? There are some stock bore 16cc DSS pistons on ebay right now for 50 bucks no reserve, 20 hrs left. Might wanna check those out.

I spun a bearing and am rebuilding mine with forged internals(sloooowly) too. Cant wait to get it back on the road.
2618 is "harder", but not necessarily "tougher". There is nickel and sometimes, other alloys in with the aluminum. That and the manufacturing method make the final product. There are some really good 2618 pistons out there. Mahle, worldwide, does more high tech racing than the others. They do Formula 1 and snooty stuff. They make a very good product. The ones I "bought" were about $700+ (no rings) most places. I got them for $560 with ring set. But I don't want to pay that for Ford Cobrarods made by Mahle. They are not the same specs. They may be fine, but won't cost nearly that. Good luck with the rebuild.
Think you got em backwards. The 4032 is a little harder and less prone to scuffing, but also less forgiving. The 2618 is tougher because it is a tad softer and can withstand a little more detonation that the 4032. However, with the 4032 you can run a tigher piston/wall clearance because they don't expand as much. 2618s can be noisy on start up because of piston slap; the result of the required larger piston/wall clearance. I got a deal on the CP pistons I have, theyre 2618 aluminum. If I didnt get these I would have gone with 4032 pistons. GL with your build too man.
Maybe you are right. Although some makers add nickel and chromium to the 2618 and Mahle adds high silicon content to the 4230. I suppose they overcome the general rulesby how they make each one. Mahle also uses Grafal, an anti-friction to help the cold start problem.Thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

True and false. It really depends on the pistonmaker and compounds of material they use. JE, ROSSpistons, for example like to run a loose piston to wall....hense piston slap when cold. Probes on the other hand don't run loose clearances. If you have ever heard a 02-04 Saleen E car when it cold....you know what piston slap sounds like.....diesel. At that time I believe they were using Arias pistons. Now in the 05-07 E cars they run CP. Just some info for you.

Casey