4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R midpipe and getting pulled over....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R midpipe and getting pulled over....

i was under the impression that all states required that you have cats?? im in VA, we dont have emissions either, but cats are "required", and the man can ticket you for having an o/r pipe, (highly doubtful).
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 97tplsGT

i was under the impression that all states required that you have cats?? im in VA, we dont have emissions either, but cats are "required", and the man can ticket you for having an o/r pipe, (highly doubtful).
[/align][/align]This is correct, it's Federal law and all states have adopted similar supporting legislation--just because they don't do inspections where you live does not mean that not having cats is legal. [/align][/align]The important part is to know how your local and usual travel area cops enforce any of this (which when talking about o/r pipes includes excessive noise too). Here where I am in Florida (Saint Augustine, 50 miles from my office in Daytona) they could care less about noise (reckless driving is another matter), so if all you do is make noise they won't pull you over and will generaly not give a rat's backend about whether you have cats...[/align][/align]On the Florida west coast however, where the bulk of the geezers are, noise isa bigger deal.[/align][/align]When you're traveling in unfamiliar places all bet's are off, I got an excessive noise ticket in Richmond VA while riding a 68 FLH that would have been considered wimpy, barely louder than stock,in Daytona...[/align]
Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004YellowStang

Where in Nebraska do you live? I don't run cats on mine and haven't had any probelms. And you can only be ticketed for equipment violations within the state you live in.
I am in Omaha. How about you? I'd like to hear your setup in person because I want to know how loud an O/R midpipe will be. I'm going to take the plunge next month and get my MRT O/R H pipe and I pray it's not too loud. Of course I'd rather it be too loud than too quiet, hence the reason going O/R.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm fairly sure I'm going O/R H w/ my Magnapacks. I've never had problems w/ cops pulling me over for tint or my car or anything, but I was hoping my road trips this year won't be ruined or expensive because of an O/R H pipe.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Octane
2nd Gear Member

I used to live in Nebraska and I had o/r x-pipe with flows. It could get loud. I did some driving all over the midwest and never had a problem. The only thing that I had a problem with was my ears ringing from a vert w/ top down, cobra with that exhaust after 8 hours running 80-85mph. lol.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Octane

I used to live in Nebraska and I had o/r x-pipe with flows. It could get loud. I did some driving all over the midwest and never had a problem. The only thing that I had a problem with was my ears ringing from a vert w/ top down, cobra with that exhaust after 8 hours running 80-85mph. lol.
LOL, so I guess to save my ears I should get a catted midpipe. I don't want to go deaf at such a young age. []