4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

Default exhaust help!!!

so my parents are going to buy me exhaust for my graduation present, and i really want slp loudmouths. Does anyone know if they make just the mufflers??? See i want the full kit but my dad doesnt know anything about cars really and thinks theyll sound fine if i buy the muffler and just weld them into the stock setup. I cant really argue cuz the exhasut would be free, but I went to order the mufflers the other day from a local performance shop and he told me not to waste my time it will make a dismal difference in sound. and that it might throw a check engine light which i thought was bull****. But does anyone think this is trueof he is just trying to sell me the full kit???? also does anyone just have mufflers on their car not the full kit if so can you send me some clips??????? thanx guys
Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust help!!!

Thats bullshi*! It will COMPLETELY change the sound! If you found weld ins they would sound ALMOST the exact same! But... I would recomend getting the full cat back so that you can get the new piping all the way back and those sexy tips!

I wish that i got the actual cat back.... I got weld in flows and it cost me $300 installed (which is high anyways) where i could have gotten a full catback for almost the same .

I would just get the full catback.. Search around and i bet you can find it for a pretty decent price.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

Ya i'm hoping i can talk my dad into the full system. I was able to on my95 mustang i did flowmasters with the guy doing custom pipeing. That cost like 500 installed. But i dont know thanx for the reply anyone else have any advise?????
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

get a full SLP LM cat back it sounds amazing
Old 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

if you get the SLP catback it is really easy to install so it will save some money
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

I found a kit that i like its about $460 bucks. I was looking at some that were like 600 so I'm thinking that if i come out with 400 he might go for it. Only problem is hes convinced on the idea of just the mufflers. Hes going to the guy who put in my last exhaust to ask him some questions. I'm hoping the guy suggests the full system.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

you wont get the same sound if you just go mufflers
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

I figured this, but my dad doesn't understand that. He thinks that you just weld the **** in and it will sound the same as if you did the full kit. I tried explaining that it would not even be close but i don't know he doesnt seem to understand. My mom said she'll just buy the kit. So im hoping she comes through with that because i keep listening to clips and slp lm's sound amazing!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustanggt9589

so my parents are going to buy me exhaust for my graduation present, and i really want slp loudmouths. Does anyone know if they make just the mufflers??? See i want the full kit but my dad doesnt know anything about cars really and thinks theyll sound fine if i buy the muffler and just weld them into the stock setup. I cant really argue cuz the exhasut would be free, but I went to order the mufflers the other day from a local performance shop and he told me not to waste my time it will make a dismal difference in sound. and that it might throw a check engine light which i thought was bull****. But does anyone think this is trueof he is just trying to sell me the full kit???? also does anyone just have mufflers on their car not the full kit if so can you send me some clips??????? thanx guys
You will not throw a CEL withANY muffler or catback exhaust. You get the benefit of 2.5" tubing instead of 2.25" with a full cat back, and the stainless steel construction SLP uses. After buying the mufflers and having them welded in, the cost difference might be 100 bucks or so. Not worth it (for weld ins)imo.

Also, SLP systems are modular. If you get sick of the LM 1 you can always unclamp them and throw in some LM 2s or Powerflows. Finally, you get nice new tips.

Id get the full catback if it were me. But sound wise, the catback vs weld ins will be about the same.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

So what your saying is that if i get the weld ins then it will sound very similar to as if i got the whole kit. But waht your also saying is that for the money ill be spending to get the weld ins i might as well just spend the extra money and get the full system. I figured the whole check engine light thing was bull**** i had to hold in my laughter, but just wanted to check it out on the forum. thanks for the responses guys!

Quick Reply: exhaust help!!!