4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: PaintballFreak

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I LOVES NITROUS.
haha way to provide the comic relief.

I've been considering nitrous as a cheap alternative to saving for an s/c. From what I've been able to gather, running a 100 shot on stock internals with all the proper safetguards AND being smart about how you use it is no real threat to the motor. The engines in our cars are pretty tough - the trannys, not so much but that's another subject I guess.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what's an average price of NO2 per ounce? I think I would have the problem of using it a lot and I'm just curious about how much I'm looking at blowing on it in the long run lol.
Nitrous can cost anywhere from $2.50-$5 per pound. Its different in different places.

NOS MAKES MOTORS ASPLODE!!!!!!!!!1 ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
i get it for 2.50 tax free.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
larissa

I have a 99 GT with nitrous before I installed it I researched the hell out of nitrous. As long as you keep the size of the shot down to 75 or 100 and get yourself a good tune you will be fine. If you think that everytime that you are driving the car and spraying all day long, no the motor will never last it is like beating the hell out of your car but a much faster pace. I only spay 75 to my car and it has been in there for four years and I just recently had the bottle filled for the third time.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

Wow, you are lucky..In my area it is going for $5.90/lb...$59 to fill a 10lb bottle is absolutely rediculous......[:@]
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
kraze_e
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

I LOVES NITROUS.

I've been considering nitrous as a cheap alternative to saving for an s/c. From what I've been able to gather, running a 100 shot on stock internals with all the proper safetguards AND being smart about how you use it is no real threat to the motor. The engines in our cars are pretty tough - the trannys, not so much but that's another subject I guess.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what's an average price of NO2 per ounce? I think I would have the problem of using it a lot and I'm just curious about how much I'm looking at blowing on it in the long run lol.
Nitrous can cost anywhere from $2.50-$5 per pound. Its different in different places.

i saw it in fast and da furious, his motor asploded and he burned up his piston rings and the floorboard fell off because the manifold had danger to it his stand alone computer said. that must mean if i run more than a 100 shot, i need to get some grade 8 bolts atleast for that damn floorboard. i dont want to make the same mistake as him.
LMAO!!!

NAWZ FTW!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

you are either seeing people that push their motors beyond it's limit or people who use nitrous foolishly without the proper safety equiptment. I know of many many people with nitrous and can't think of a sigle person that blew their motor on nitrous. I ran it on my old motor UNTUNED for 4 years and had 121k miles and ran like a top when I pulled the motor. I can't think of anyone who put a s/c or turbo on their car that can make that claim!

Thats true. But I'm just saying I have seen more people with nitrous blow their cars up then people with turbo or s/c. So I dont think that s/c or t/c does the same to a engine as n20

[hr]

I dont think ford would put out Vehicles with superchargers on them if they were not going to make it over 121k Miles. A buddy of minebought a 02 Lightning brand new and that same day he bought it heputon a diff pulley and was running high 7's in the 1/8 and he drove it everyday to work and as a daily driver.A couple months ago he put it up for saleso he couldget a four door truck and the lightning had 168k mile's on it, and still ran brandnew,and for the six years he had owned that truck he ran it every weekend during drag racing season. I hardly see a nitrous car makeit throughone drag race season.
obviously you like a s/c and I like N2O so we will never agree 100% on the subject. I do think we are comparing apples to oranges. I'd hope thatwhen Ford puts out a vehicle with a supercharger they intend on it to last over 121k miles. Look at the 03 Cobra, it comes with manley rods, forged pistons, better fuel system, etc. Does that means the S/C is safer than N2O or they built a better motor? (I'm not sure what the lightning motor has for internals, but I'm sure it's no worse than the GT). As for putting a blower pulley on a lightning, you can't compare adding a few #'s of boost to a truck that was designed to have a blower to a stock GT and adding a 100+ rwhp of nitrous. And for not making it past a season with nitrous. I made it 4 years, JayC has too and many more. I sprayed so much I had toget 50# cylinders and fill my own. I did this on the stock GT motor, untuned, stock 19# injectors, stock MAF, just about everything was stock. Don't get me wrong, I like supercharges but do I think it's safer than nitrous? Not really. Can it be made safe? Sure, with some good tuning it may last for quite some time. N2O and a S/C both have their good and bad. Obviously the bad to the nitrous is having to fill the bottle and that can get costly after a while. But the good to me out weighs the bad, I could run on 87 octane when I didn't spray so gas prices weren't that big of a deal to me, the torque is amazing,and the biggest part is my car ran just as good when it was 95* out as it did when it was 60*. I've seen plenty of blower carsrun nearly a 1/2 second slowerin the dead of summer.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

you are either seeing people that push their motors beyond it's limit or people who use nitrous foolishly without the proper safety equiptment. I know of many many people with nitrous and can't think of a sigle person that blew their motor on nitrous. I ran it on my old motor UNTUNED for 4 years and had 121k miles and ran like a top when I pulled the motor. I can't think of anyone who put a s/c or turbo on their car that can make that claim!

Thats true. But I'm just saying I have seen more people with nitrous blow their cars up then people with turbo or s/c. So I dont think that s/c or t/c does the same to a engine as n20

[hr]

I dont think ford would put out Vehicles with superchargers on them if they were not going to make it over 121k Miles. A buddy of minebought a 02 Lightning brand new and that same day he bought it heputon a diff pulley and was running high 7's in the 1/8 and he drove it everyday to work and as a daily driver.A couple months ago he put it up for saleso he couldget a four door truck and the lightning had 168k mile's on it, and still ran brandnew,and for the six years he had owned that truck he ran it every weekend during drag racing season. I hardly see a nitrous car makeit throughone drag race season.
obviously you like a s/c and I like N2O so we will never agree 100% on the subject. I do think we are comparing apples to oranges. I'd hope thatwhen Ford puts out a vehicle with a supercharger they intend on it to last over 121k miles. Look at the 03 Cobra, it comes with manley rods, forged pistons, better fuel system, etc. Does that means the S/C is safer than N2O or they built a better motor? (I'm not sure what the lightning motor has for internals, but I'm sure it's no worse than the GT). As for putting a blower pulley on a lightning, you can't compare adding a few #'s of boost to a truck that was designed to have a blower to a stock GT and adding a 100+ rwhp of nitrous. And for not making it past a season with nitrous. I made it 4 years, JayC has too and many more. I sprayed so much I had toget 50# cylinders and fill my own. I did this on the stock GT motor, untuned, stock 19# injectors, stock MAF, just about everything was stock. Don't get me wrong, I like supercharges but do I think it's safer than nitrous? Not really. Can it be made safe? Sure, with some good tuning it may last for quite some time. N2O and a S/C both have their good and bad. Obviously the bad to the nitrous is having to fill the bottle and that can get costly after a while. But the good to me out weighs the bad, I could run on 87 octane when I didn't spray so gas prices weren't that big of a deal to me, the torque is amazing,and the biggest part is my car ran just as good when it was 95* out as it did when it was 60*. I've seen plenty of blower carsrun nearly a 1/2 second slowerin the dead of summer.
[hr]

First of all, I do have a supercharged car and love superchargers, and I also like nitrous, so dont get me wrong here. But as for what you said aboutputting a blower pulley on a lightning and getting a few #'s of boost, I guarantee you he ran faster with that pulley swap than he would if he put a 100 shot of nitrous on his truck. Down here stock lightning's run 9.0's-9.10, and he ran a 7.90's, so he dropped over one second faster with just that pulley swap and no tune. I see guys running 9.50's in fox body 5.0 stock with just 3:73 gears and thenaddeda 125 shot of nitrous and a tune and onlybrought it down to 8.60's-8.80's. I know we are going to disagree about things, but I have no problem with anyone on this forum, and think all of you are very nice to talk to and toget info from, but we all are going to see things in a different perspective. Heck before it's over with I'll probably add a small shot of nitrous to my cobra. lol. But I have got nothing against younitrous guys.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

[hr]

First of all, I do have a supercharged car and love superchargers, and I also like nitrous, so dont get me wrong here. But as for what you said aboutputting a blower pulley on a lightning and getting a few #'s of boost, I guarantee you he ran faster with that pulley swap than he would if he put a 100 shot of nitrous on his truck. Down here stock lightning's run 9.0's-9.10, and he ran a 7.90's, so he dropped over one second faster with just that pulley swap and no tune. I see guys running 9.50's in fox body 5.0 stock with just 3:73 gears and thenaddeda 125 shot of nitrous and a tune and onlybrought it down to 8.60's-8.80's. I know we are going to disagree about things, but I have no problem with anyone on this forum, and think all of you are very nice to talk to and toget info from, but we all are going to see things in a different perspective. Heck before it's over with I'll probably add a small shot of nitrous to my cobra. lol. But I have got nothing against younitrous guys.
damn what did he run before the pulley swap? I have a friend with a lightning, he has kooks long tubes, pulley swap (both), catback, cold air, suspension and JDM tune. I think he may run a low 13, high 12 at best. We are probably going to the track this sunday with his truck. I'm going to try to talk him into running it so I can get some video of it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

[hr]

damn what did he run before the pulley swap? I have a friend with a lightning, he has kooks long tubes, pulley swap (both), catback, cold air, suspension and JDM tune. I think he may run a low 13, high 12 at best. We are probably going to the track this sunday with his truck. I'm going to try to talk him into running it so I can get some video of it.
[hr]

I'm talking about 7.90's inthe 1/8 mile
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

[hr]

I'm talking about 7.90's inthe 1/8 mile
I figured that much. what did he run before in the 1/8?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

I LOVES NITROUS.

i get it for 2.50 tax free.
Well well well. Would they find it weird that you suddenly started filling up another bottle every week(MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I want to get it that cheap!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Nitrous