4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Custom lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

Default Custom lowering

I know I am going to getting some nasty resoponses to this but I have heard of people doing it and want to double check things out first. I can either cut my springs and buy c/c plates, or lower it and not buy c/c plates. I am leaning towards cutting them because it might just force me to buy lowering springs if it dont turn out right. It will most likely me temporary unless it works out. If I cut them how do I know how much to cut?

-Also, does anyone have a video of slp lm1 or lm2's with headers and o/r H?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:49 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom lowering

I have thought about cuting mine several times but I am kinda scard that it might mess something up by being to short
Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I wonder if the people that say don't do it have even done it? I have 4 cyl front springs cut, and FRPP C springs with the dead coil cut. Now since I have a drag setup it doesn't ride all that well, but many people say it's unsafe. I've never had a problem and no one has ever said WHY it's not safe.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 AM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

Im no suspension expert but I have heard that when you cut the springs the ride gets a lot worse. As for safety issues, to me that just does not sound safe. How do you want your car to respond, the spring rate along with a good set of struts are going to make the difference. i would spend the money and do it right. I have also heard you need c/c plates if you drop more than 1½â€. I did a kmember, a arms, and coilovers with adjustable struts, c/c plates, and bumpsteer all at once the ride and handling are a hell of a lot better now.
Good luck
Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 AM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

dont cut .just buy lowering springs
Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

The fact is .. if you cut too much you will get a bouncy ride and you will alsoneed C/C plates... the SAME thing goes if you lower your car using springs .. anything more than 1.5" is about a garuntee you'll need c/c plates to get everything straight ... if you don't mind a somewhat bouncy ride .. then cut your springs .. but beware .. big bumps and cause a lot of travel and can/will blow out shocks and struts .. so its all depends on how low you wanna go really ...
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

Looks like I am going to get lowering springs with out c/c plates. I realy want sportline but I think I am going to have to go with the pro kit. Does anyone know how much to cut on the springs if I were to do it?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Don't cut for the simple reason... that.... they are not made to be cut. BRILLIANT! That's why companies make lowering springs. Reasons? Well, you need a lesson on coils and vehicle geometry. Springs fall in to 2 categories. You got progressive rate, and specific rate. Depending on a vehicles geometry, you use one or the other. If a car has a progressive geometry suspension, then you don't need progressiverate springs. For a progressive geometry suspension, you use specific rate springs. Our mustangs have a linear suspension, thus the requirement of a progressive rate spring. Progressive rate springs work like this: the spring rate increases when you need it, and decreases when you don't. Pretty simple really. So now that we got that all out of the way, we get to the basic design of a coil spring. A metal rod twisted in circles, and heated to the point that it will be firm, yet durable. The more coils a spring has, the higher the spring rate. If you cut a spring, you are tossing it's design out the window. First and foremost, it isn't going to seat like it should. When a spring comes out at 55mph, you're going to hate life. Second, back to design. The spring was designed with a set amount of coils matched to our mustang's weight and handling capabilities. You cut a coil off, and you get poor ride quality for the simple fact that you now have a coil that doesn't match the weight and handling of our cars. That's why they spent thousands engineering lowering springs.

**Long story short, just buy the darn lowering springs**
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

just get FRPP C springs. They are like $140 from mustangtuning.com and lower you car just over an inch. I have them but I haven't taken any pics yet.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

cutting the springs, espcially if you cut to much, results in a bad ride and bouncing, because you are changing the overall spring rate by cutting them. This can lead to wheelhop, both on launch, but in the worse case senerio while going hard around a corner that doesn't have a smooth surface. Obviously, going hard around a corner and then suddenly getting wheelhop would be a disaster.

Lowering springs are cheap and easy to install, why cut them? it saves ya a few bucks, but is it really worth it?