4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

racing in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: racing in overdrive

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

[hr]
think about it like this.... your driving down the road and your car is in OD, well a camaro pulls up next to you and you both stomp it... when your car is in OD it is in 4th gear, so when you stomp it, thats just an extra gear its goin to have to drop downfor you to be able to go fast, and it will save you time if you have it off, because it will take less time for a auto to drop down from 3rd to 2nd then from dropping down from4th to 2nd.---IMO
Thats a hell of a lot of potential gas money savings for waiting for a random street race. I drive my GT down the road in 5th gear at 40-ish MPH as much as possible. If I see a potential threat coming I will adjust the trans accordingly, but up until that point IMO, your wasting fuel and adding wear driving around in 1:1 paranoid that a phantom Camaro could jump on you at any moment!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

[hr]

think about it like this.... your driving down the road and your car is in OD, well a camaro pulls up next to you and you both stomp it... when your car is in OD it is in 4th gear, so when you stomp it, thats just an extra gear its goin to have to drop downfor you to be able to go fast, and it will save you time if you have it off, because it will take less time for a auto to drop down from 3rd to 2nd then from dropping down from4th to 2nd.---IMO
Thats a hell of a lot of potential gas money savings for waiting for a random street race. I drive my GT down the road in 5th gear at 40-ish MPH as much as possible. If I see a potential threat coming I will adjust the trans accordingly, but up until that point IMO, your wasting fuel and adding wear driving around in 1:1 paranoid that a phantom Camaro could jump on you at any moment!
[hr]

First of all you are talking aboutyour manual transand I was talking about auto's. I was pointing out that if you race from a roll to turn your OD off. I did not state anywhere in my response to keepthe OD off when you are just driving around. Its not like if a 'camaro' pulls up next to you, you cant just hit a button and turn it off. I believe you got my response mixed up with DROPTOPPONY's response. All I was saying if you go to race from a roll and turn you OD off it will take less time for the car to down shift from third then todown shift from fourth. So you need to tell me how would that be wasting fuel......Its not..... Now what droptoppony was talking about, turning his OD off as soon as he gets into his car, now that would be wasting fuel. And also I dont drive around paranoid afraid of Camaro's,(camaros arethe ones driving around paranoid of me showing up beside them)I was using the camaroas anex: on how he should turn the OD off before he races.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

I turn my OD off as soon as i start the car and leave it off until i enter a freeway.
Why? Is there a reason or is this just your preferance?

[hr]

Autos do not work like that. The trans will drop into the lowest gear it can for the speed you are at. It will not go through each gear on a downshift. There is no reason to be turning OD on and off, the trans will not go into OD at WOT so it makes no difference in a race. The only time I can see turning it off is if you are running a big cam (cams) and an auto with a lockup converter. Somtimes at low rpms the converter will lock and the engine will lug because of the large cams
Old 05-20-2007, 02:13 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I turn my OD off as soon as i start the car and leave it off until i enter a freeway.

[hr]

Autos do not work like that. The trans will drop into the lowest gear it can for the speed you are at. It will not go through each gear on a downshift. There is no reason to be turning OD on and off, the trans will not go into OD at WOT so it makes no difference in a race. The only time I can see turning it off is if you are running a big cam (cams) and an auto with a lockup converter. Somtimes at low rpms the converter will lock and the engine will lug because of the large cams
[hr]

I can drive my moms 02 Gt and its auto, and I will have the OD off and take off going about 45 and stomp it, it willhesitate and shift into second then take off, then if I have the OD on and go about 45 and stomp it, it hesitates even longer before it shifts into 2nd then take off. I know that if you are in fourth gear and stomp it, it doesnt go into third and then into second then take off.... Im saying if you are in 4th gear it takes a tad bit longer for it to down shift than it doesif youwerein 3rd.---IMO
Old 05-20-2007, 11:58 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

[hr]
i drive with my OD on all the time, if a car would pull up next to me and want to roll race and i can't get down into 2nd, i'd just press the little button and take my OD off, it doesn't take long
Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I always leave it on except if I am in traffic then I turn it off since I don't want to be shifting all the time.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i only use o/d on the highway or if im in a granda type of driving mood. as far as getiing to a lower gwar quicker youd be amazed how much quicker the trans goes from 4th to 2nd compared to 3rd to 2nd, try sometime to manually downshift from 3rd to 2nd and then try 4th to 2nd, 4th to 2nd is much faster, maybe just the fact my tranny is silly? o/d isnt even really a gear its a band...technically youre still in third gear with an 'overdrive band' applied. but at any rate, try my test if you have an auto, the delay from 4th to 2nd is much quicker, may be more noticible w/ my shift kit. and g/l trying to go WOT inoverdrive, autos simply wont let you unless something is manlfunctioning, hence the term automatic.