4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Put a 90MM MAF on.. what do i need to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default Put a 90MM MAF on.. what do i need to tune?

My buddy has a stock 4.6 gt. i had a 90mm layn around and we stuck it on. like at first it wouldnt idle or nothing then after drivnign it a little while i figured the cpu would clear up and re program its self. well it did runs really dam good.. it chirps 3rd gear with new tires on it. lol. but now when you let of the gas at high rpm and keep it in gear the exhust makes real loud crackling sounds hes got 40series flow's.. my gt 347 also dose this but i figured it was all the air being forced into the motor and now its just loud in the exhust? were headn to the track sunday anyhing tricks or tips you guys got for us?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Put a 90MM MAF on.. what do i need to tune?

No way you are getting any kind of gains with the 90mm! It is way too big for the car and is not good for it either. The bigger Maf is made for supercharged vehicles because they peg out with voltage. You can run mild boost even with the stock maf. The Maf DOES NOT move any more air when you upgrade it. It only tells the computer how much air is entering the throttlebody!!!! The bigger maf simply doesn't peg out as easy as the stock ones since there is more air being derived from the supercharger as is needed!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

mm really? man it really felt like at high rpms it moved along pretty dam good.. even snatchd 3rd never ever could do that before.. well if its a 80mm would that make much differnce? i might of put a 80mm on it then.. i got both but neither one are markd... ones for my 5.0 and ones for the 4.6.. but i dont know witch is witch.. came with the procharger kit i bught of a guy ... you say its not good for the car?? whys that..
Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

Dont change the MAF without tuning the car right after! The car will now run lean eventually frying your pistons! You make more power when you run lean but at the cost of the engine.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Also, a larger MAF does not "force" any more air into the engine--it just supplies what the engine can suck in at a lesser vacuum and velocity. It's the lower velocity that causes the larger MAF to be telling thePCM that less air is entering the engine than really is--the computer injects only enough fuel to work with what it thinks is less air than there really is, so the mix is lean.[/align][/align]A larger MAF wil do nothing on an n/a 4.6L 2V or 4V engine, except mess up the tune. The OEM 80 mm unit (that's what my '03 has anyway) is plenty big enough--the throttle body is still the weakest link in the chain and it's 65 mm with a 5/16"shaft running through the middle of it.[/align][/align]What you experienced is placebo effect...[/align][/align]
Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

aright well we got the 90 off. but you say t/b's week.. well heres what were goin by.. theres a bud of ours with a lt1 camaro with a msd dis &wiresand exhust and was a interceptor so it may have a interceptor chip and has a tranny kit i also heard it has 3.55's.. aright the gt ive been help workn on has a short shifter, everything else is just looks. we racing last night at a dead stop we couldnt hook up at all, we even put 200pounds in the back, At a 20 roll we pulled him hard of the get go about half a car. then soons we shift to third the camaro pass's by and gets us by about a car n a half... what can we do to pull some top end on him? but i think thats impressive considering a 4.6 is a small motor compared to the lt1's, i mean its tuff to beat a camaro cuz there built from factory pretty quick. the camaro runs 13.6's in the quarter
Old 05-26-2007, 12:43 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

cliffy we actually didnt . becuase we now pull on the camaro witch we couldnt before.. we'd be dead even and we ran 5 times last night pulled every single time.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AndySpeed

My buddy has a stock 4.6 gt. i had a 90mm layn around and we stuck it on. like at first it wouldnt idle or nothing then after drivnign it a little while i figured the cpu would clear up and re program its self. well it did runs really dam good.. it chirps 3rd gear with new tires on it. lol. but now when you let of the gas at high rpm and keep it in gear the exhust makes real loud crackling sounds hes got 40series flow's.. my gt 347 also dose this but i figured it was all the air being forced into the motor and now its just loud in the exhust? were headn to the track sunday anyhing tricks or tips you guys got for us?
If you paid money for it you wasted it as a stock 4.6 will never use it all. You need to get a tune if you want to use it and you will probably fubar some stuff up with it in its current state.

Forced air? What you got an electric blower hooked up to it? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Track tip... Don't bother the crapmaros and local hoopty's will kick it's azz.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

but buddy we were only a car behind it... alls im asking is what can we do to beat a lt1 camaro? i udnerstadn aboutthe maf its aready off the car.. and no i didnt pay for it. it came with my procharger kit when i bought it off a guy. my bud wanted to see what it would do on his 4.6.