4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Handling Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default Handling Mods...

I am going to be getting my 4.10's next month and I don't plan on any type of FI because I will be getting a Vette, Shelby Cobra, New mustang or something else when I pay this off in a few years. There aren't really many performance mods that I see worth it. I got my catback and I will be getting 4.10's and a midpipe. I am not going to bother with any intake mods.

Handling mods will be my next step other than visual stuff. How will handling mods rank in order?

Sub-Frame Connectors

Panhard Bar

Upper and Lower Control Arms

Shocks/Struts (I only have 13k miles on my stock ones)

Strut Tower Bar

Thanks for any help. I am trying to plan out my mods in order for the summer and the rest of the year.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Handling Mods...

Shocks/Struts---Get adjustables
Sub-Frame Connectors---Get full-length
Panhard Bar
Strut Tower Bar
Old 05-25-2007, 02:26 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Dont scrimp on the cheap knock-off crap either, you wont be helping yourself any on the track. Maximum Motorsport or Steeda stuff FTW
Old 05-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

i think a good first mod would be a strut tower brace. When I put mine on I noticed the increased stiffness right away.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I would go subframes, panhard bar, lowercontrol arm, shocks/struts.

I would never recommend aftermarket uca's to anyone. If your going with a panhard bar and an aftermarket lca, get rid of one of the stock uca's and call it a day.

Most people have the mentality that if steeda or some other company sells a uca then it must work, but if your goal is handling get rid of the 4 link and look into 3 link setup. Also depending on how much of an increase in handling your looking for, look into some Coilovers, I would recommend some koni's, tokico's, or bilstein coilovers. MM and Griggs makes some awesome coilovers. The MM one does not require you to have an aftermarket k member like some of ther others will for the coilovers to sit right.

I am currently running the mm coilover's, mm subframes, and mm lca's. I have the mm phb and mm torque arm sitting in my room awaiting install. Also, before you start on your suspension I would goto corner-carvers.com and use the search function, read up on what they have to say about handling products, they do not believe in going with name brands, but with companies that are performance oriented.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

i was told upper C/A are pointless any truth to this?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

i was told upper C/A are pointless any truth to this?
Yeah, the only benefit would be adjustable uppers to adjust pinion angle. The upper control arms need to flex due to the arc of travel, and the stock ones flex just fine. LCA's is where it's at.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I am going to be getting my 4.10's next month and I don't plan on any type of FI because I will be getting a Vette, Shelby Cobra, New mustang or something else when I pay this off in a few years. There aren't really many performance mods that I see worth it. I got my catback and I will be getting 4.10's and a midpipe. I am not going to bother with any intake mods.

Handling mods will be my next step other than visual stuff. How will handling mods rank in order?

Sub-Frame Connectors

Panhard Bar

Shocks/Struts (I only have 13k miles on my stock ones)

Strut Tower Bar

Thanks for any help. I am trying to plan out my mods in order for the summer and the rest of the year.
Sub-Frames make a huge difference, and for you vert owners it's the first mod you should get IMHO. The stock ones on a vert/Mach suck.
Strut tower brace helps to tighten the front end. Not as noticeable as the subs, except on a vert.

After that, I would consider getting the Bullitt suspension kit if I were you.
It has higher rate springs, bigger (and lighter I think) anti sway bars and upgraded shocks/struts. It lowers your car a wee bit as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the other stuff.

Like the other people said, get high quality parts and avoid the knockoffs.

If you really want to go crazy, Griggs and Maximum Motorsports make some excellent kits, but they are expensive although worth every penny IMHO.

Aereon makes some great points!