4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Prochamber installed... disappointed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default Prochamber installed... disappointed!!!!

Installation at the shop went okay. Brenspeed sent me two drivers side Eliminators so I need to replace 1 and get the passenger side one. No CEL yet.

Exhaust sounds the same at idle compared to the stock midpipe. A bit more resonance but you can't hardly tell.

Driving around it sounds a bit raspier, and a bit louder. For an O/R midpipe it's very tame. I was expecting something alot louder. It's only really loud when you want it to be (stomping on the throttle).

At WOT it's a totally different story. VERY loud, and sounds pretty good.

However while cruising it makes a rattling sound, and the guys at the shop said it was the actual chamber itself resonating. Not a huge deal but it sort of annoys me.

Overall I'd rate the quality of the sound a 5/10. The stock H pipe was deeper, and not raspy like this. Also it has amplified the Magnapacks and it sounds like a wet fart. Not good at all, and I'd rate Flowmasters sound way better than this. Doesn't have the good tone or deepness of say a Flowmaster or MAC exhaust or anything.

Kind of disappointed. I think I expected too much. Needless to say I am going to get rid of the Magnapacks and get a MAC SS catback. I want that deep, throaty "tinny" sound like Flowmaster, but I know Flowmaster doesn't sell a stainless steel system.

I ordered the Magnapacks last year because I got a good deal, but honestly I should of waited and gone with a chambered muffler system. I'm sure some may like the sound of Magnaflow or the Magnapacks but like I said, it doesn't sound right, and is basically like a big wet fart.

I may have the Magnapacks up for sale if anyone is interested.

Oh yes I definately felt more power. The Prochamber made the car pull harder at mid to top end range, and it seems to rev more freely.

It was a good upgrade for performance, but it's not the sound I'm looking for.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Prochamber installed... disappointed!!!!

Yeah that sucks. I have LM2's and am very cautious about what mid pipe I am going to get so as to not f*ck up the sweet sound I have now.

Your car is sweet. Ever consider dropping it?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

"sounds like a wet fart"... LMAO!... Hahaha!

I also think the prochamber sounds best on chambered Mufflers. Definitely swap it out for a Flowmaster or Mac exhaust. You'll be satisfied after that.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Willis_98GT
1st Gear Member

+1 to the drop
Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment. Nah I won't drop my car, it's a daily driver and I don't want to get the bottom scraped up. Where I live you basically need a 4x4 to drive up steep roads, and curbs.

The Prochamber itself is good, but I just think the catback isn't that great for it. Some may LOVE the sound of my car, at least the guys at the exhaust shop liked it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Not a fan of the wet fart sound. I think a chambered muffler like MAC or Flowmaster is perfect for our Mustangs.

Your LM2's are very much like my Magnapacks. I would listen to some cars in person before you put the money down to buy a midpipe. The Prochamber is great, but I just need to get MACs catback to better compliment it.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Oh by the way I've been getting high and enjoying the fumes coming from my O/R midpipe. It smells like heaven! *passes out*
Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Willis_98GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

Oh by the way I've been getting high and enjoying the fumes coming from my O/R midpipe. It smells like heaven! *passes out*
[:'(]lol. i was thinkin about getting it for my gt. i already have a nice set of 40series flows on the *** end.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Haha. Gotta love that smell.

But you know what you gotta do with your set up. IMO, it seems like the prochamber was made for chambered exhaust systems. They just sound so good together. But that's JMO. I know different people have different taste in exhaust sounds. And a lot of people are in love with the prochamber no matter what catback it's paired to.

... But when you pair the prochamber up with a chambered exhaust, it just has MUSTANG written all over it.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

Haha. Gotta love that smell.

But you know what you gotta do with your set up. IMO, it seems like the prochamber was made for chambered exhaust systems. They just sound so good together. But that's JMO. I know different people have different taste in exhaust sounds. And a lot of people are in love with the prochamber no matter what catback it's paired to.

... But when you pair the prochamber up with a chambered exhaust, it just has MUSTANG written all over it.
You hit the nail on the head man. Next paycheck I am ordering the MAC catback. Screw Magnaflow. Hey how much different will the MAC sound compared to Flowmaster? Are they basically the same? I really love the sound of Flowmaster, but never heard MAC in person. Like I said, if Flowmaster made a stainless system I would be all over it, but MAC looks to be what I should get.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

ah yes the fumes, sometimes i feel bad for the people right behind me at the light

Quick Reply: Prochamber installed... disappointed!!!!