4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

flowmaster is too quiet???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: flowmaster is too quiet???

Run open headers.

Seriously though,if you want that muscle car sound at idle,get you an O/R H pipe,and a set of cams.

I have O/R H-pipe ,flow 40's with turndowns,it's loud,but still kinda quiet at idle.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM
y2kStangGT
3rd Gear Member

OK... thanks for all inputs. However, I am a beginner and doesn't know what O/R H, x-pipe, h-pipe, etc. mean. What is a mid pipe? what is cat back? can some one please explain to me the different types of setup and the pros and cons of each. I would appreciated. which is legal (pass inspection) which is not?

Thanks all.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 AM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

Hey man I hear your flowmaster blues. I have the american thunder series (40 seriesmufflers ) with an x-pipe and no cats and manderal bends and ect. It all comes in the kit. Anyway your wondering why it's so quiet at idle. Well I dont really know , other than the engine isn't under any load. But mine are quiet too. BUT when I drive they get louder. If you really want to see how loud your car is. Have someone else drive it past where your standing. Then that will give you an idea of what you sound like. If you want to be LOUD then all the guys are right get the SLP's or any straight through muffler. But the flows are just fine, they give you a nice all around sound and good performance.Not to mention the ladies don't know if their slp , mac, borla,or flows, they really don't care, so I wouldn't stress to much about it. haha

I hope all that helps.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 AM
tylers66mustang
2nd Gear Member

swap the midpipe to an O/R midpipe....prochambers sound great.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: y2kStangGT

OK... thanks for all inputs. However, I am a beginner and doesn't know what O/R H, x-pipe, h-pipe, etc. mean. What is a mid pipe? what is cat back? can some one please explain to me the different types of setup and the pros and cons of each. I would appreciated. which is legal (pass inspection) which is not?

Thanks all.
The mid pipe is the pipe that goes between the manifolds up front and ends just before the mufflers. The mid pipe from the factory will have at least 4 cats (some have 6 [:@]). It will also have a H, which is a crossover pipe that connects both sides of the exhaust, just before the mufflers.

The cat back system, which actually on your car would really make more sense to call it a mid pipe back system, replaces the mufflers and all the piping behind them.

When talking about aftermarket mid pipes, you will hear 2 types, either catted or off road. the catted mid pipe has high flow cats and will usually pass inspection. The off road pipe has no cats, is louder, but will not pass inspection depending on how strict your state is about inspections.

Now in addition to catted or off road mid pipes, you can also chose what kind of crossover pipe you want. The factory mid pipe has an H pipe. Thats basically a straight pipe that connects both sides of the exhaust. Generally the H pipes will be deeper and give the car more of the classic rumble that muscle cars are known for. The X pipe connects both sides of the exhaust into what looks like an X. It flows just slightly better at high rpm's (when i say slightly, you might see a 1-2 hp gain over an H at very high rpm) X pipes give the car more of a race car type sound, not as much rumble but it sounds like its revving to the moon when you hit the pedal.

You will see all of these abbreviated. off road is o/r, then you put if its an H or X. Mine had an off road H pipe, so it was an o/r H.

Just to give you an idea of what flows with an off road H sound like, heres a few clips of my 99 GT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iG7qhepyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdo1ayd1xg
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

Your car is going to be quiet at idle. I have an O/R Prochamber and Magnaflow (normally louder than flowbastards) and it is really hard to hear mine at idle either. Reason being is there is no load on the engine so it isn't working very hard.

Absolutely wrong. Magnaflow mufflers are quieter than flows at idle. Any straight through muffler will be much quieter than a chambered muffler at idle.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Okay I had a MAC catback with a catted-x pipe and damn did that thing idle loud.
Now I have the Magnapack catback with my Magnaflow catted-x pipe and the idle is quieter BUT sounds alot more bassy...powerful.

You can listen to many different setups here
Here's a nice little write-up someone did over on the registry about exhaust

Just know that the main exhaust components consist of: headers - midpipe - catback (thats the same order they go in from your engine to the *** of your car)
Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

thats how mine was...it sounded good but not loud..I put on a offroad xpipe and it woke up big time..sounds so mean
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

at idle, my car rattles stuff in the house. lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
golferjoe11
1st Gear Member

Was in the same boat when I bought my car. I just added an O/R Pro-chamber and it sounds pretty pissed off! Drove it last night with my buddy who had'nt riddin in my car a while and he kept saying how much my carsounds like a racecar. Dont waste money and ditch the flows,just add a pro-chamber mid pipe

Quick Reply: flowmaster is too quiet???