4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do I need for Supercharger Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
GTnoob501

Default What do I need for Supercharger Install?

First off i would like to apologize because i know this question had to have come up before. I used the search function but didnt find what i was looking for or just might have known i found what i was looking for.

Secondly i would like to say that i am new to modifying cars period but plan to do plenty of research i just need a start.

Ok i have a 2002 Mustang GT convertible. Nothing has been done to it. What i was thinking is a good start to get some good power is to slap a supercharger in it. A supercharger is just a start but i kinda want that to be first.But i know other things need to be done to it along with the supercharger but i am just not sure what.

I am open to any other suggestions of what i should do with the supercharger or later onafter theupgrade.I am not interested inputting a turbo charger on it though anything else but that

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What do I need for Supercharger Install?

ORIGINAL: GTnoob501

First off i would like to apologize because i know this question had to have come up before. I used the search function but didnt find what i was looking for or just might have known i found what i was looking for.

Secondly i would like to say that i am new to modifying cars period but plan to do plenty of research i just need a start.

Ok i have a 2002 Mustang GT convertible. Nothing has been done to it. What i was thinking is a good start to get some good power is to slap a supercharger in it. A supercharger is just a start but i kinda want that to be first. But i know other things need to be done to it along with the supercharger but i am just not sure what.

I am open to any other suggestions of what i should do with the supercharger or later on after the upgrade. I am not interested in putting a turbo charger on it though anything else but that

Thank you in advance.
Welcome!
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one and that's the beauty of the Mustang, there are just so many different approaches that you can truly be unique with your car. The two basic approaches are:

1, Bolt ons.
2. Supercharger/Turbocharger (Turbo is less popular).

Bolt ons are also good with a supercharger because they provide a firm foundation for all of that extra power you will be making.
You are never going to make the same power, even with full bolt ons, as you will with a supercharger even without any bolt ons, ie: by itself.
Still, many people don't wish to spend the $$$ for the super charger and are very happy with the 50 or so HP (highly approx) you can get with full bolt ons.
Others who went the full bolt on route wish they had put the money toward a supercharger so you are going to get all kinds of opinions and every one is valid.
The first thing I would do, is remove the air sliencer and install a drop in K&N or similar free flowing filter. It's a free mod and most people say it makes a slight difference. Personally, I wouldn't waste money on a CAI because other than looks, the gains are not worth the money. Others disagree and if I did decide on a CAI it would most likely be either JLT (not the in the fender one, too much risk of water getting into it) or the K&N FIPIK. Some people make their own and other buy the el-cheapo's on ebay. Whatever floats your boat

Next you want to look at exhaust systems because the stock system on 99-04 is pretty restrictive. Again you'll start a war if you ask which is *best*.
Be aware that there are down sides to everything and just because you read about getting an O/R pipe with long tubes because it sounds *great*, listening to that system roar and smelling the fuel fumes while you drive to work everyday may not be too much fun.However, when you hit the track on the weekend it's going to sound like heaven. I went with a Magnaflow catback (1571) and I am very happy. I get drone, everyone does, but some cars (verts in particular) and some people are more prone to being annoyed by it.
I put a set of Bassani Baffles in when I take long trips and it helps a lot. There isn't an after market system that doesn't drone or humm around 2k rpm under load. It's just the physics involved with the motor, length of tubes and mufflers. Even the stock system drones but the mufflers mask it which is why they are restrictive in the first place.

So anyway, I would get your exhaust done first so the car can flow.
Then start looking for superchargers. They are fairly easy to install if you have mechanical experience but I would strongly suggest you download the installation manuals for the particular models you may be interested in and study them. For most people (that's me!) the scariest part is tapping the oil pan for the oil line to the charger. Something about putting holes in an oil pan and then all those chips from the tap makes me nervous. Follow the instructions to the letter with that part, heavy grease, dump oil, go SLOW etc.

The mongoose kit is popular because it includes every single part you need all in one kit.
You might also want to look at a larger throttle body and plenum because it helps support all that air you charger will be pushing.

That's about it.
I would take things one step at a time and build up to installing the charger. You will find your car runs a little bit better with each bolt on and in the end you will have built a solid car, foundation, that your supercharger can be supported by to make all that power.

Good luck and I'm sure you will get plenty of responses.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
airborne22
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3332042/tm.htm That guy did a great write up on a supercharger for cheap, has all the links and information you need to piece one together. Also has a link to the Vortech install manual for ya so you can read through and see how hard its actually going to be! Hope that helps a lil bit

Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

I think undecided.steve is 100% correct. I have a vert with offroad Hpipe and flows. Exhaust doesn't bug me unless i travel long distances. It annoyes my woman very much but im used to it. Cold air intake is worthless, the only thing that helped out of all my mods was the Hpipe. plenum and TB better throttle responce but in terms of HP maybe a little I ran the same trap speed at quarter. But with a blower, you want a trottle body and plenum. Headers I heard are worthles on 4.6 thats why I don't have any performance headers. Clutch will be the first thing to look into after you put the blower on. Gears are great to replace. 4.10 are a little too much (don't fight me on this people) Id go with 3.73 ( drive shaft rotates 3 3/4 times while the wheels rotate once. 4.10 rotate 4.1/8 times while the tires spin once.) 4.10 do put a lot more strain on the motor on the hwy going 80 miles an hour cuz your RPM is higher. Tracktion becomes a huge problem with 4.10 and a blower specially. Also you'll need to spend some money on tires when you get blown. Suspencion will help you alot. About the air silencer and K&N is true. plus you'll thow the coil air intake away when you put the blower on. Goood luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

meh.. a couple things i didn't like. a turbo isn't necessarily less popular. it's just more expensive for an actual kit. everybody wants a turbo. you'll get bigger numbers out of that than most any other blower. price is just too steep. price is generally a factor, we DID buy a GT after all.

your commend on the TB doesn't really hold true. you won't pick up very much power from a TB/plenum as you would think on a supercharged vehicle. the most you'll get and be able to feel is the throttle response.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

yep