4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gear Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 PM
dave22478
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Install

Ok, now that my exhaust is on the car for some reason it feels less torquey (is that a word) I guess its from moving the torque curve.I am going to have to get gears to make up for it. The problem is where do I bring it to get it done. I don't really trust all the local shops although one of them when I asked was like yeah I did three gear installs last week. Has a bunch of Vettes hanging around a I see some stangs there at times as well. I really don't want to argue with a shop if it gets screwed up or whines. Should I just bring it to Ford, I also heard that a Ford SVT dealer might be better. Is there anyone in the CT area that they can recommend. What is everyones thoughts on Ford, I am getting the FRPP gears so I am assuming they should have the spec's to install it properly.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Install

ORIGINAL: dave22478

Ok, now that my exhaust is on the car for some reason it feels less torquey (is that a word) I guess its from moving the torque curve.I am going to have to get gears to make up for it. The problem is where do I bring it to get it done. I don't really trust all the local shops although one of them when I asked was like yeah I did three gear installs last week. Has a bunch of Vettes hanging around a I see some stangs there at times as well. I really don't want to argue with a shop if it gets screwed up or whines. Should I just bring it to Ford, I also heard that a Ford SVT dealer might be better. Is there anyone in the CT area that they can recommend. What is everyones thoughts on Ford, I am getting the FRPP gears so I am assuming they should have the spec's to install it properly.
Not sure of a shop. Good Luck with ford there high dollar. I will say this I had a local shop do mine. 5K miles later there whining.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:00 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

If you are mechanically inclined and can turn a wrench, do it yourself. I did mine myself and have had no problems at all. I saved a ton of money and had a great time doing the job. Here's the link to the directions I used for you to look at if you are interested.
http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html

It really isn't a bad job at all, so long as you take your time and understand what you are doing. This was the first time I had done a gear install, and I had no problems at all.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:13 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dave22478

Ok, now that my exhaust is on the car for some reason it feels less torquey (is that a word) I guess its from moving the torque curve. I am going to have to get gears to make up for it. The problem is where do I bring it to get it done. I don't really trust all the local shops although one of them when I asked was like yeah I did three gear installs last week. Has a bunch of Vettes hanging around a I see some stangs there at times as well. I really don't want to argue with a shop if it gets screwed up or whines. Should I just bring it to Ford, I also heard that a Ford SVT dealer might be better. Is there anyone in the CT area that they can recommend. What is everyones thoughts on Ford, I am getting the FRPP gears so I am assuming they should have the spec's to install it properly.
I noticed a similar thing when I installed my Magnaflow catback. Turned out the power band just moved up a wee bit which I discovered when I floored it from a slow roll and it almost went sideways going into 2nd and chirped again going into 3rd.
It sure woke me up
I have an auto BTW.
You'll get used to it and then wonder why you stayed so long with stock!

As for gears, how close are you to the ferry that goes to Long Island?

There are a couple of shops here that are Mustang only and they know their stuff.......
Whatever you do don't go to a shop that doesn't know stangs. Yea, there are many excellent mechanics out there, but
for gears, you want someone who does them all the time and does them on Ford;s.

As for the dealer, if you have a Steeda or Roush or SVT dealer near you, inquire a little but personally I would be real careful.
See the 2005+ forum for gear whine problems and dealers. Remember these guys are under warranty and they are having some real nightmares.
FWIW I have a dealer near me that is tops.... The techs have been there for years, the young blood are supervised so they can learn and the experience is very good. However, that is not typical.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

If you are mechanically inclined and can turn a wrench, do it yourself. I did mine myself and have had no problems at all. I saved a ton of money and had a great time doing the job. Here's the link to the directions I used for you to look at if you are interested.

It really isn't a bad job at all, so long as you take your time and understand what you are doing. This was the first time I had done a gear install, and I had no problems at all.
interesting

good post needs to be a sticky so no one ask for this again
Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes we forget that our 8.8 is used in a particular 4x4. Pretty much the Ranger. I had my gears done by a local 4X4 shop.Most do gear ratio swaps all day long.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:35 AM
01GTCONVERTABLE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

+10000.....I did mine..got 500 miles on her now...not a bit of whine.

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Sometimes we forget that our 8.8 is used in a particular 4x4. Pretty much the Ranger. I had my gears done by a local 4X4 shop.Most do gear ratio swaps all day long.
GREAT ADVICE!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM
dave22478
2nd Gear Member

I don't think I have the required tools to accomplish the job. I would love to do it myself, I just think this one might be better off done by the professionals. I just want to make sure I bring it to a professional and not some rookie that is willing to try. Anyone else know of shops around CT?