4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shifting without letting off gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
00blackstang
3rd Gear Member

Default shifting without letting off gas

is shifting without letteing off the gas bad?....... i was told that u can keep the pedal on the floor, but still shift, Using the cluth and it isnt bad..tru?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: shifting without letting off gas

i would think the clutch would slip bad and not last very long but what do i know i got an auto
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Lavitz
1st Gear Member

It's called powershifting. It can drop a good chunk off of your 1/4 mile time.Personally I don't do it because I'd rather have a working tranny.

If you do it too much or don't do it right (ie miss the 2-3 shift) you'reasking for a worthless transmission.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emanpimpster

i would think the clutch would slip bad and not last very long but what do i know i got an auto

Have you ever tried shifting in your auto, i have and it seems lke it takes for ever to catch n somtimes when i floor it to fastit dnot catch n thats bad haha, but i treid it at the track n ran a 14,8 when my average is 14.2 Anyways is there a technique since i dont have a clutch for an auto, i mean i know its an auto so not meant for that but i read in a thread a guy was running better times with shifting in a auto.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

get a shift kit or a tuner to set your shift points the tuner made my auto shift alot harder
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ColinGT

ORIGINAL: Emanpimpster

Have you ever tried shifting in your auto, i have and it seems lke it takes for ever to catch n somtimes when i floor it to fastit dnot catch n thats bad haha, but i treid it at the track n ran a 14,8 when my average is 14.2 Anyways is there a technique since i dont have a clutch for an auto, i mean i know its an auto so not meant for that but i read in a thread a guy was running better times with shifting in a auto.
Manually shifting an Auto can ONLY hurt you.

Throw a shift kit and stall converter in there and that thing will be an absolute BEAST
Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ColinGT

The best thing you can do for an auto is get a stall converter and a good shift kit. A nice shifter will also help.

When launching an auto, hold the brake with your left foot, while pressing the accelerator with your right. Rev the engine until the back tires start to spin, then let off just enough that they stop spinning. Look at what rpm you're at, and thats where you should launch from. When the light turns green, hit the gas and let off the brake at the same time. This will take some practice to get used to, but you should launch harder since your car is higher in the rpm range.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

ya i heard about that, alright thanks alot guys im gonna definalty look intothis, im dying for a manual but ill have to wait till i need a new car, any one know any good sites to find these stall converters and shift kit
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I've seen people powershift TKO500 and TKO 600s all day for a long time and have no problems........ Don't try it with a stock 3650 though..... Unless of course you have Code's Bucket and do over 100 passes with the spray on using the stock 3650!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

is your car fixed yet?

Quick Reply: shifting without letting off gas