4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: 01Steed

Yes, I make it a habit to talk out of my ***. [>:]

I'm sure I've learned nothing about this subject in my 10 years of leading an engine design team for a highly regarded Ford design source.

Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us as to why Ford recommends 5W20? Please, share your vast knowledge with us.
O so your the bastard who gives us these tiny engines?

And it doesnt take someone with vast knowledge to recomend what oil to use...... Dumbass....

If it says 5w20 why go against it? I honestly dont care why Ford recommends it.... They do so i use it...
adam is right.. the only time you should change the weight of your oil to say.. 0w30 or 5w30 is if you either live in alaska (0w30) or on mercury (5w20) chances are your engine wont reach the temperature that breaks down 5w20 unless you have absolutely NO coolant through it. just go with 5w20. you use a heavier weight and during start up its a little more difficult to lubricate the parts.. as most wear and tear occurs on startup, 5w20 is used to lubricate the parts quickly and improve fuel economy while driving. if it says 5w20 use 5w20. if your car runs on gasoline only, are you going to put ethanol in it because its 15% gasoline? same concept applies.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01Steed

Funny, I don't recall reading inmy owner's manual or any other Ford publications that I should replace my conventional "break-in" oil, as you refer to it, with synthetic. I think you're manipulating some facts here to bend this conversation in your favor. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Is synthetic better? That question doesn't have a straight-up "yes" or "no" answer. It is better if your engine's needs exceed that of what a conventional oil can deliver. If, for instance, your engine requires an oil that won't break down at higher temps, or you don't like changing it every 3-4000 miles, than yes, you might want to consider a synth. On the other hand, you can't buy into any hype generated by the synthetic oil industry that conventional oils are garbage. Think about that....they're trying to sell their product. If they admitted that John Q. Public doesn't really "need" synth, they'd be narrowing their target market, which isn't a good business plan.
But anyhow, my original point is still valid. You shouldn't just blindly tell a person that they "should" be using synthetic. Don't read any more into what I've said. You people are acting as though I said synthetics aren't any good....that's not what I've said.
I'm not going get into a pissing contest over this. The OP hasn't reposted, so it's basically pointless to argue further.

Good luck to everyone. I didn't become a member here to start/participate in arguments or namecalling. There's too much of that going around already. You have your viewpoint and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.
+1 to this man.

If using synthetic makes you feel better, and recommending that others should likewise be using it justifies, in your mind, that you made the right decision by switching to it, more power to you. I'll stick with the MotorCraft 5W20 in my vehicles, changed every 3,000 miles. See you at 200K+boys....
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

just a few things. my 2000 gt owners manual says to use 5w-30. another thing is, all the motorcraft oil i see is full synthetic. i work at advance auto parts, and thats all we stock for motorcraft.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

I think we scared the guy away. All he wanted was a simple suggestion.

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w20 and a mobil 1 filter.

No matter who you are or how you drive the car will enjoy it and benefit from it, period. Try to argue with that.