4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whats a good chip or tuner for a 98 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
sanitarium16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats a good chip or tuner for a 98 GT

SCT Superchip Microtuner. It makes a world of difference. Just got mine reprogrammed to work with my 98 GT. WOW is all i have to say
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
98gtmustang
2nd Gear Member

see they were telling me that i micro tuner would definitly give me gains... i guess im just confused then on what it does... because they are honest people, i didnt believe the whole 30 HP thing... but i do however hear quite a few people saying around 20 or so for a micro tuner reguardless of mods or not
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with Diablo as well, i know plenty of stang owners who use Diablo...
Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM
98gtmustang
2nd Gear Member

"don't waste your money on these damn chips and mail order tunes. find a good SCT Tuner and dealer in your area and dyno tune it. mail order chips are a waste." BCisme said... isnt that what ill be doin when i take it to the dealer? lol the whole SCT Tuner
Old 02-02-2005, 05:50 PM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

Chips sometimes can have problems... both the people I know with chips had a car problem because of a chip.... a dyno tune is definitely worth it. If the dyno tuner is relatively close, then I would get your car dyno tuned, you will know your exact numbers and stuff... plus, most tuners have great deals on tuning cars. Like, you pay say 500 up front and you are tuned, then the next time, say you add a bolt on, it only costs you dyno time instead of the whole 500 bucks again... of course, yuo can get a chip and also get a dyno tune, some poeple don't though... but if you're stock, I would buy the chip, have it installed... and just wait till you get some more mods...
Old 02-02-2005, 05:56 PM
98gtmustang
2nd Gear Member

Hey WS6, what exactly does the dynotune do to add horsepower? i mean what gains would u guess i inparticular will get from this...roughly. thanks again. becasue he said if i dont get one my check engine light wont stop coming on either.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

OK... I have a 98 GT with all my mods below. Except the clutch and pulleys. I had a chip burned. I removed the computer and put the chip in myself at the dyno. Good friends with the dyno guy. So i did that and then he tried to start it .LOL.... he was clueless to the PATS system. The car wouldnt start and he kept trying and trying. He thought he broke my car. I was laughing the whole time and then i showed him what to do. We started it and dyno'd it. Made it run not so rich... it was wicked rich. So we played with it for a while and all i could get from it was 6.39HP and 12.19 ft lbs. So i paid 300 for the chip, installed it myself. Then that was it. lol. I know i got a good deal, but i guess thats the perks to knowing the guy. Then i pay 50 bunx for a dyno everytime i come back. Get as many pulls as i want and tune it even more. I personally would just dyno it and tune it with a SCT chip.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98gtmustang

Hey WS6, what exactly does the dynotune do to add horsepower? i mean what gains would u guess i inparticular will get from this...roughly. thanks again. becasue he said if i dont get one my check engine light wont stop coming on either.
what you fail to understand is that HP is not the main focus of a chip. when you heavily modify an OBII mustang, or any car, the stock computer just can't be reprogrammed to work with cams, head porting superchargers etc. you have to chip it to get it to run properly. you don't have the mods to require a chip, and you won't gain much power. when you do major mods, you have to tune it to get the timing and a/f ratio optimal for your setup so you don't blow your motor up. of course you'll make a bit more power with a correct air/fuel timing tune. and once you have chipped/dyno tuned your car, you'll have to retune it after every mod. say you do it now, when you go to do cams, gotta tune it. add a blower, got to tune it. put the new fox lake lash adjusters in? gotta tune it.

with bolt ons, it's not worth it unless you want to keep retuning after every mod, and that can cost $300 or more a session.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:26 PM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

if most tuners just advance the timing, would it be detrimental to use a tuner with a timing adjuster that's already been advanced?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:00 AM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Aye. Manufacturers undercut the power in their engines so insurance is lower for the buyers of these cars. If they sold the cars at the cars maximum potential, then there would be fewer buyers in the market due to high insurance payments. It would throw the buyer into a new insurance bracket. Its a pretty good trade off... $300 for 15 HP or an extra $200 a year tacked on to your insurance bill? If you are planning on further modifying your beast, then you may as well buy the diablo tuner. It will only help in the long run.

Peace out Napoleon.