4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra brakes...

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Are you doing all 4 wheels or just the front? If you're doing all four, its gonna cost you about 1000 for the kit. You can get the 2000 Cobra R front brakes for the same price. They're 4 piston brembo calipers, much better than the 2 piston PBR calipers you get with the Cobra upgrade.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=541

I did the cobra upgrade.Was it better than stock? Yes. Was it 1000 dollars worth better? No. I wish I had gone with this kit and just focused on the fronts for the same price. Again, this is assuming you were going to spend the money to do the full upgrade.
There is no reason to change to the cobra brakes in the rear. They do not offer a significant gain over the stock rear brakes, and you run the risk of not being able to run a 15 inch wheel if you are into dragracing (for instance, a stock V6 rimwith a d/r or slick). Not only that, but they are much more difficult to install than the fronts.

The 4 piston setup is simply all show unless your mostly into autocross, and need to slow down very quickly from say 100+ MPH constantly. Its just not worth the 1000 dollars for a street car. Below 100 MPH I would put money down that nobody could tell the difference between the 2 pistion cobraand 4 pistioncobra Rsetup, at least not the first few braking passes.

At 400 bucks the front cobra swap is a great deal. The only downside is you cannot run a 15 inch rim up there without spacers and differnt lugs... which means either running an open lug nut on your DD rims or taking the lugs out and swapping them every time you go to the track... what a PITA. Regardless, you could not run it with the 4 caliper setup either.

so i can get my 97 gt take off the stock calipers and rotors and pads go to a busted up cobra take the calipers and rotors and get new pads and install them and this will all bolt on no problem and the lines stay the same too not bigger and the cobra's are they dual piston? rogerwilco
anyone selling there stock calipers and what size rotors come on the cobra's so i know what to get ...
Yowza, punctuation!

Yes, you can install the cobra's rotors, pads, and calipers. Its a direct swap, and you don't need to change the lines (its a good idea too.. they are the same size but just to get new ones incase of dry rot etc). You can also upgrade to stainless lines if you want.

The cobra rotors are 13 inch. The cobra calipers are dual piston.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I did the Cobra front brake swap. It was well worth it, and was very easy to do. I followed these instructions, and had no problems what-so-ever. https://mustangforums.com/m_1112743/tm.htm
You will need a breaker bar to get the calipers off, those bolts are tight. Bleeding the brakes is very easy, run a search and you'll find something. As stated above, don't waste your money on getting the rear brakes as well, they aren't worth it from what I hear, and the install is much more involved.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
jersey98gt
2nd Gear Member

this is my favorite upgrade to my car, besides my bassani CB
Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Are you doing all 4 wheels or just the front? If you're doing all four, its gonna cost you about 1000 for the kit. You can get the 2000 Cobra R front brakes for the same price. They're 4 piston brembo calipers, much better than the 2 piston PBR calipers you get with the Cobra upgrade.

I did the cobra upgrade.Was it better than stock? Yes. Was it 1000 dollars worth better? No. I wish I had gone with this kit and just focused on the fronts for the same price. Again, this is assuming you were going to spend the money to do the full upgrade.
There is no reason to change to the cobra brakes in the rear. They do not offer a significant gain over the stock rear brakes, and you run the risk of not being able to run a 15 inch wheel if you are into dragracing (for instance, a stock V6 rimwith a d/r or slick). Not only that, but they are much more difficult to install than the fronts.

The 4 piston setup is simply all show unless your mostly into autocross, and need to slow down very quickly from say 100+ MPH constantly. Its just not worth the 1000 dollars for a street car. Below 100 MPH I would put money down that nobody could tell the difference between the 2 pistion cobraand 4 pistioncobra Rsetup, at least not the first few braking passes.

At 400 bucks the front cobra swap is a great deal. The only downside is you cannot run a 15 inch rim up there without spacers and differnt lugs... which means either running an open lug nut on your DD rims or taking the lugs out and swapping them every time you go to the track... what a PITA. Regardless, you could not run it with the 4 caliper setup either.

so i can get my 97 gt take off the stock calipers and rotors and pads go to a busted up cobra take the calipers and rotors and get new pads and install them and this will all bolt on no problem and the lines stay the same too not bigger and the cobra's are they dual piston? rogerwilco
anyone selling there stock calipers and what size rotors come on the cobra's so i know what to get ...
Yowza, punctuation!

Yes, you can install the cobra's rotors, pads, and calipers. Its a direct swap, and you don't need to change the lines (its a good idea too.. they are the same size but just to get new ones incase of dry rot etc). You can also upgrade to stainless lines if you want.

Yeah, I agree the rears are worthless. Which is why I suggested the Cobra r front brakes if he was spending the money anyways. However, I personally think the stopping power of the 4 piston brembos is superior to the 2 piston PBRs. The 2000 Cobra R weighs in at 3590and stops in 122 feet from 60-0, a 1998 Cobra weighs in at 3350 and stops in 127 feet from 60-0. Thats a +240lb, -5 foot difference which is significant to me.

Value wise, yes 400 for the fronts only is a good deal and will probably suffice. I guess it depends on what you're looking to spend. If you want good, go with the PBRCobras, if you want better, go with the Brembos. Best is a whole other ballpark.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Yowza, punctuation!

Yeah, I agree the rears are worthless. Which is why I suggested the Cobra r front brakes if he was spending the money anyways. However, I personally think the stopping power of the 4 piston brembos is superior to the 2 piston PBRs. The 2000 Cobra R weighs in at 3590and stops in 122 feet from 60-0, a 1998 Cobra weighs in at 3350 and stops in 127 feet from 60-0. Thats a +240lb, -5 foot difference which is significant to me.

Value wise, yes 400 for the fronts only is a good deal and will probably suffice. I guess it depends on what you're looking to spend. If you want good, go with the PBRCobras, if you want better, go with the Brembos. Best is a whole other ballpark.
Even with the 5.4, the cobra R should weigh signficantly less than a 98.. so I am not sure if your numbers are correct.

its just not going to make a massive difference, certianly not worth another 600+ dollars to do the fronts only. 4 piston setups are nice, but the 2 piston setup has the ablity to lock up the front tires (if ABS is disabled) in any case, so its all the same (you can only apply as much stopping power as the tires will allow).

I would think that the cobra R probably does a better 60-0 simply because it has far superiour, larger, front and rear tires (more contact patch, more braking ablity) and because I am 99.99 percent sure it is signficnatly lighter than the stated cobra. (no a/c, rear seat, radio, etc etc). The 5.4 isn't THAT much more weight.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i did the install of the brakes... then tried to bleed them and the pedal still went to the floor so i drove it to firestone and they did like this thing called speed bleeding or something like that with a machine...

[/align]
Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i did the install of the brakes... then tried to bleed them and the pedal still went to the floor so i drove it to firestone and they did like this thing called speed bleeding or something like that with a machine...

[/align]
How long did you bleed them for? thats pretty strange you couldn't get hte air out of them.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

[/align]
[blockquote]

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

[/align]
How long did you bleed them for? thats pretty strange you couldn't get hte air out of them.
probably ten min a brake and they still sucked at stopping... but i had my e brake still. haha[/blockquote]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Fast2002 4.6

I saw the kit from AM includes new bolts w/loctite already applied. DoI need to use the little copper washers? Or just reuse the old ones? Also, should I remove the cap of the brakereservoir?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Yowza, punctuation!

You're screwed with 15 inch rims in the front as well.