4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blew coil pack. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
InTheWind

Default RE: Blew coil pack. HELP!!

It was on cylinder 5, but from what I've read so far its not cylinder specific. Ford denies there's a problem, but has (allegedly) issued TSB's about proper removal and installation of the spark plugs on these engines, and has also changed the aluminum head design as of 2004 to have more threading.

This is the dilemma I'm having right now. Yes, in essence its a crappy design of the aluminum head that is ultimately at fault (I mean, come on, 3-4 threads to hold a spark plug in??). However, 99% of the time this only occurs within 4-6 months of spark plugs being changed due to "improper" removal and installation of the plugs. Though I've read this explanation on various sites, most of them were forums and not official enough for me to take to the shop to say "hey, you all messed up". Right now its my word against theirs. I actually saw one of them just yank one of the plugs out when I was waiting yesterday to compare the differences on the ejected plug compared to a good one, and he had to push pretty hard on the wrench to get it out.

There is one TSB (that I can't seem to get my hands on in an official capacity) that talks about the removal procedures. If any of you have access to these and can find it, its TSB #06-5-9. I'm assuming the "proper installation" TSB I keep hearing about would have been released somewhere in the same time period.

Like I've said previously, it scares me to no end as to what could have happened, and the fact that the NHTSA has deemed this a non-issue because there weren't enough "proven injuries or deaths" to warrant a recall is incredible. One death is too much....

As a side note, thanks to all of you for taking this seriously. I posted in the General Tech area before I realized my friend had posted here, and all I got was a rude, smarta** response about searching for the problem. So far I've got 9 hours of research into this and believe me, my eyes are killing me (thank God for dual monitors to multi-task). I'm just hoping someone out there has the official information I'm trying so hard to find.

Edit for racer02GTstang: No, it did not break the intake manifold. Fortunately I had just made a left at a light from a complete stop so I was only going about 30-35MPH when it blew. The spark plug itself shows little damage (just the last thread or so on the plug), but all the threading inside the head is gone, with some visual metal shavings in there. The helicoiling is actually not recommended - something about that it won't hold up and the same problem will occur. TimeSert makes an insert that is supposedly recommended by Ford as a valid alternative to head replacement. My thing is, I have no problem fixing something on my car should it go out, but if its because someone didn't take the time to ensure that the work is done properly................
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Durr727

I personally cannot help you on this one.
I would call up the Ford dealer and see what they say, usually engines are covered under warranties assuming her's is still under the time frame of the plan. Also call up a few reputable shops and get their opinions on the situation.
FORD has denied all Warranty's related to this issue! There was a lawsuit awhile back and Ford had won pertaining mainly to the F-150's plugs blowing out! She is SOL... She can try a Heli-coil, but it's very doubtful that it will run the same after that! If I were her I would just buy a new reman head from Jeg's for $349 or just buy a complete motor used. It's going to be the same price. This is what I hate about the stupid modular design. They do this for money reasons!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
InTheWind

Thanks 97Targa. This is what I was figuring, but if I could get my hands on that Ford TSB about this issue/spark plug installation I'd have more leverage with my mechanic. This is when I wish I had a buddy at Ford instead of Toyota
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Many Fords (including ours) use recessed thread, tapered seat plugs, which require that they be torqued properly (11 to 13 ft.lbs.) or they will loosen and blow out--or the taped threads in the head may have been weaked when new plugs were installed. If you have access to the service history and the plugs have never been changed, or were changed at a Ford dealership, you may be able to exert some leverage. If they were last changed by someone other than a Ford dealer you may be S.O.O.L...[/align]
The proper torque is 11-13 ft lbs? I torqued my TR55s to 18 ft lbs. What is everyone else torquing them to?

O.P. sorry for the hijack