4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New V8 Owner needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
sgtallen

Default New V8 Owner needs advice

After 4 yrs of having a v6 i have finally made the next step up to the big boys, its an 03 GT maroon with only 27k miles in excellent condition.

What i was planning on doing was getting a borla stinger cat back, K&N fitpak, maybe 4:10 gears, new throttle body and ud pulley. Im new to the v8 world and wanted to know what the benefit of a throttle body would be as well as what affect it would have on exhaust tone, same question for gears and a ud pulley, what purpose do they serve and how will they inprove perfomance over stock. I was going to leave my stock h pipe on because of admissions,however will getting another catted h or x make it sound any throatier or deeper?

Last, does anyone know of any shops in the houston area that installs mustang mods? i never really got into performance mods since i only had a 6 and it wouldnt have made that much of a difference. Thanks in advance for your help, i look fwd to interacting on the boards.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:28 AM
dave22478
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New V8 Owner needs advice

The throttle body/plenum with give you better throttle response. (I am looking at getting these parts this weekend). The Gears are going to give you better acceleration, (I have 3.73's and love them, long debate between 4.10 or 3.73) as for the H or X you can get a catted one if you are worried about emissions and it will change the exhaust note. Good luck and happy modding the madness never ends.....
Old 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
doug0122
1st Gear Member

i agree with dave but you should also look at a new intake...trick flow makes a nice one and so does fox lake...the p51 from fox lake is a bad **** but you might need a new hood for it i cant quite remember as for me i would go with an x pipe they perform a little better and i love the way they sound...look into different mufflers too, i run a single chamber muffler from flowmaster and its sounds deep agressive and its pretty loud and even with a cat it sounds mean and loud as hell i also run turndown so my exhaust tips dont show and it makes it easier to pull the exhaust down when you need to do more serious mods under that car because you dont have to hassle with getting them off over the rear axle but the issue there is getting a v6 rear bumper so it doesnt have the exhaust cutouts...let me know if you have anymore bolton questions im here to help
Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Throttle bodys dont make any real power....but some suggest better throttle response...every little bit does help though..but cost wise,,maybe money better spent on something else @this time)...IMO....Gears 4 sure.....and a nice cat back and X- or H..I have an O/R x and its abit loud and raspy,,Racey sound..I get compilments every time I drive the car around town....Does sound like race car.LOL....H-is a old muscle car sound they say...If it was me...Shifter,Exhaust(Mid and cat back),air silencer delete,K&N filter,Gears..call it the day til your ready For F/I or spray..
Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
sgtallen

Thanks for the responses guys, i might go with a catted x pipe since ive heard the best reviews on them, what are your guys opinions on the K&N fitpak?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doug0122

i agree with dave but you should also look at a new intake...trick flow makes a nice one and so does fox lake...the p51 from fox lake is a bad **** but you might need a new hood for it i cant quite remember as for me i would go with an x pipe they perform a little better and i love the way they sound...look into different mufflers too, i run a single chamber muffler from flowmaster and its sounds deep agressive and its pretty loud and even with a cat it sounds mean and loud as hell i also run turndown so my exhaust tips dont show and it makes it easier to pull the exhaust down when you need to do more serious mods under that car because you dont have to hassle with getting them off over the rear axle but the issue there is getting a v6 rear bumper so it doesnt have the exhaust cutouts...let me know if you have anymore bolton questions im here to help
its a little early for him to even be lookin at those right now, the stock intake is perfectly fine for even a cammed motor, most cases of too big of an intake ive heard of had lost some power.....his best bet is to get a full exhaust, t/b, gears and tires. an intake is waste of money as are most of the 2v bolt ons. if you plan on makin a lot more power later, then skip the wasting your money part on sensless bolt ons and start savin for nitrous or a blower. trust me, ull kick yourself when you have a full bolt on car, and still get drug by a stock ls1.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

dont waste your time or money...but if your dead set on an intake, check out the jlt. i had it before the blower and it made a very slight difference. good quality though
ORIGINAL: sgtallen

Thanks for the responses guys, i might go with a catted x pipe since ive heard the best reviews on them, what are your guys opinions on the K&N fitpak?