4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trans help?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Trans help?!?!?!

here's the update.

There is a TSB on this.

It affects anyone of you who have the 3650 and have problems getting it into 2nd gear when it's cold (below 40 deg.) OR have a clashing noise or rough, raspy feel during 1-2 or 2-3 shifts OR if it pops out of 2nd and/or 3rd gear.

TSB 04-15-06, publication date July 22, 2004.

Syncro kit # 3R3Z-7124-AC

Kit includes;

2nd main shaft gear
1-2 sycronizer assembly
3rd main shaft gear
3-4 syncronizer assembly
1-2 and 3-4 shift fork and rail assemblies
blocking rings
a new oil fill sticker..cuz they don't want the trans as full.

It's going in my car.........finally
Old 02-08-2005, 08:44 PM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shaggy

i have an 03 gt and i have a problem with my trans too, well i think its a problem. it used to be rare but now it happens all the time. when my clutch is out the trans makes a squeaky/ticking noise. kinda like when you used to put a baseball card on your bike wheels, so its a rotating noise, but what the hell is it. its only when the clutch is out and doesnt matter if the car is moving or not. i havent taken it to the dealership yet because it used to just be random and i knew with my luck it wouldnt happen there. but im gonna take it in as son as i can now.
my 03 cobra does kind of the same thing, but only when i am in gear, and starting to ease out on the clutch and start rolling, but its not that annoying, (yet). let me know if you figure out what the noise is.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Your tranny won't make any ticking noise in neutral.

Your throw-out bearing would make a squeeking noise though, maybe you should get a long screw driver and put it over your valve covers and stick your ear to it and see if you got an internal problem in your engine.
i have found that wood, ie broom handle, works well also, carries sound good.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

but if the clutch pedal is out, then the clutch is engaged and the trans is "conected" to the engine right? so even if im not moving, if the clutch is out the driveshaft is spinning the trans. so if its only when the clutch is engaged then it would make sense that its part of the trans? plus the noise is most prevelent from the front drivers side wheel well and under the car near the trans.
Huh, your driveshaft is after your transmission and it doesn't spin when it's in neutral or when the clutch is depressed...
Old 02-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

sorry for "hijacking" your thread mike, but i felt it would be easier having one thread on trans problems instead of multiples like the blackout idea threads in appearance. Dan, i know the driveshaft doesnt move when the trans is in nuetral but parts in the trans are still moving, and when the clutch is out the engine is spinning the input shaft on the trans, but the drivshaft doesnt spin because its not in gear. the trans can be in nuetral 2 ways, having the clutch disengaged or the actual shifter being out of gear (no im not saying this because i think you dont know it but i want to better describe my thought on this noise) with the clutch engaged the engine spins the trans, whether or not the driveshaft spins depends on if the shifter is in gear. the noise ONLY happens when the clutch is engaged, so the noise ONLY happens when the input shaft on the trans is spinning whether or not its in gear. so thats why i am 99% sure that the noise is coming from the trans.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 01GTvertible

i have an 03 gt and i have a problem with my trans too, well i think its a problem. it used to be rare but now it happens all the time. when my clutch is out the trans makes a squeaky/ticking noise. kinda like when you used to put a baseball card on your bike wheels, so its a rotating noise, but what the hell is it. its only when the clutch is out and doesnt matter if the car is moving or not. i havent taken it to the dealership yet because it used to just be random and i knew with my luck it wouldnt happen there. but im gonna take it in as son as i can now.
my 03 cobra does kind of the same thing, but only when i am in gear, and starting to ease out on the clutch and start rolling, but its not that annoying, (yet). let me know if you figure out what the noise is.
M/T - T56 6 Speed Rattle Noise Or Difficult To Shift

TSB 04-13-4

6/12/04

TRANSMISSION RATTLE NOISE OR DIFFICULT TO
SHIFT - TREMEC T56 6 SPEED MANUAL

FORD:
2003-2004 Mustang

ISSUE

Some 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra vehicles equipped with a Tremec T56 6 speed manual transmission, may exhibit a rattle noise or a difficult to shift condition. This may be due to a cracked or broken release bearing guide tube.

ACTION

To service, install a revised transmission adapter cover plate. The revised adapter cover has the release bearing guide tube already installed

Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

sorry for "hijacking" your thread mike, but i felt it would be easier having one thread on trans problems instead of multiples like the blackout idea threads in appearance. Dan, i know the driveshaft doesnt move when the trans is in nuetral but parts in the trans are still moving, and when the clutch is out the engine is spinning the input shaft on the trans, but the drivshaft doesnt spin because its not in gear. the trans can be in nuetral 2 ways, having the clutch disengaged or the actual shifter being out of gear (no im not saying this because i think you dont know it but i want to better describe my thought on this noise) with the clutch engaged the engine spins the trans, whether or not the driveshaft spins depends on if the shifter is in gear. the noise ONLY happens when the clutch is engaged, so the noise ONLY happens when the input shaft on the trans is spinning whether or not its in gear. so thats why i am 99% sure that the noise is coming from the trans.
It's OK dude. I just got a little frusterated because I was busy and I would come to look for answers to my question only to find out it was a conversation about something else.

Anyway, no hard feelings.

Yours sounds like the early stages of a TOB problem but mine made similar sounds in the beginning. It was only over time that I started to realize it was something else.

I'm thinking the 3650 is a POS.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Shaggy i also think the problem is in the trans, you explained youreself pretty clearly when saying the clutch grabs even if still in neutral. The trans gears are just not in the 1st gear shift pattern. Thats all.

Im going to try and upload TSB on here but im not sure it it will work.

Also the gears in the 3650 have a certain amount of teeth on them and when its cold or too high of RPM's they dont go together well. So they decided to use gears with less teeth so they clash better.

Ok, i just found out i cant upload. PDF files... ****ty.

Well if anyone wants these TSB, the CObra trans, 3650 tsb and also hard to get into reverse/first tsb. All for 99+ Stangs. These are stright from the Professional technician society. So its what the dealership sees. lol. Dont tell them i gave them to you though!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

yea sorry for that mike, but no hard feelings. thanks for understanding what im talking about casper. lol. i can try and get acces to some programs at school that have TSB's listed so i gotta check that out.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 AM
ITALIANO66669
2nd Gear Member

apparently the dealership you brought your car to isnt worth a damn.if there is metal in the trans fluid there is apparently a problem and there is no such thing as a silent recall what you may be reffering to is called a tsb [technical service bulletin] i am a ford tech and the only main concern is with the 3650 is a hard shifting concern caused by bad synchronizers in the trans but only will be repaired if the concern exists and on most claims the tech will drive the vehicle and if the concern is not evident they will release the car npf [no problem found] find a better dealership and make mention about elements in your fluid but becareful they may claim you messed with the trans and they will not fix it under warranty.and if the clutch still grabs in neutral the clutch is misadjusted or the bolts for the clutch itself is coming loose i have seen this before.