4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loss of Compression

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Loss of Compression

if i were you, i would tell him that it needs a rebuild and offer him like $5 or 6k. otherwire stay away.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Mass Driver
1st Gear Member

what if it is just a bad valve orpiston ring? How hard would it be for me to fix that?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

if it were me...id love to have a car for that price with all the mods he has done. all youd need to do is add in forged internals and your ready to make some nice power. just think youd spend that much in those mods if not more. its only gonna be about 3k for a motor rebuild with stronger internals. i say go for it. just dont dog it til you get enough for the rebuild.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

a valve wouldnt be as bad as a piston ring, but by the time you take the heads off to find out, you are looking at several hundred in labor, or several hours of working on somebody else's car. if it is a ring, you will most likely have to rebuild the bottom end.

if i were you before i would do anything i would do a quick compression test on it to see how bad it is. compression tests are easy and you could do it in less than a half-hour. if all of the numbers are not within 10% i would stay away, but unfortunately things only tend to get worse so it could be a ticking timebomb.

like i said before, it wouldnt be a bad deal for $5 or 6k, you could bank the rest of the money so that you can rebuild it when it does go.

oh... i didnt read before that it sat for 3 years. that is definitely not good. ask him how often he started it and ran it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

it could be a good deal for some people... if you plan on forging the shortblock... that would be a steal... if you want to put in forged internals and make even more power... i would say do it.. but keeping it how it is... it is risky... actually... get a leakdown test of cylinder number 3... put air pressure in it when the cylinder is closed and see where the air is coming from... head gasket, intake valves, exhuast valves, or crank case... that could be a good start if you go to fix it. from it being a boosted motor... i would say it will be the valve guides could be worn out and the valves are leaking bad... i only had 2 cylinders show it but all my cylinders had leaks.

[/align]
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

What are your plans? If you want a reliable daily driving mustang, this is NOT the car you want.

If you are planning on building a car hardcore for the track- this car comes with a lot of supporting mods that racks up a huge amount of costs. If you buy it, buy it expecting to basically put a whole new forgedlongblock in it, using the supercharger and acessories it already has on it.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Mass Driver
1st Gear Member

is there any reason why i have to go with a forged bottom end? Why cant i just replace what is broken and continue to run it? If i am not mistaken, there are a few on here with blowers who have stock bottom ends. I guess i just dont see why it couldnt be a good DD if repaired correctly. Also, where is a good place to get a compression test done, or is it something i can do myself? Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 AM
mfj
Banned

because if its a ring, that means the whole bottom end is probably about to go. and if u just replace the ring, another one i just waiting to mess up. And if u want to replace ur bottom end, puttin a forged bottom end is not that much more costly than putting a new stock bottom end in.This car will not make a good dd. and if thats what ur looking for, u r lookin at the wrong car. this car is a great project car, but i dont think thats what u had in mind.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

After reading this thread two things occur to me:[/align][/align]The first is that the car has been mechanically beaten on and the motor is toast or at least headed that way--it is unlikely that the loss of compression (enough to make the car undriveable) in one cylinder is an isolated problem, more likely it is the first major symptom of a failing engine.[/align][/align]My second thought is that (and I mean no offense here), from the questions you are asking it seems as though you do not have the technicalknowledge or experience torebuild the engine. If this is so and you will be paying someone else to do the work then you are looking at a$2k to $4kdollars worth of work just to get a new (or even donor) engine into the car, and then another couple thousand or so to get the supercharger on and tuned.[/align][/align]Then there's the possibility that the clutch, tranny, and/or rear-end are also beat-up--you won't know 'til you get the engine running properly.[/align][/align]This $8k car could end up costing you twice that in a very short time...[/align]
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

After reading this thread two things occur to me:[/align][/align]The first is that the car has been mechanically beaten on and the motor is toast or at least headed that way--it is unlikely that the loss of compression (enough to make the car undriveable) in one cylinder is an isolated problem, more likely it is the first major symptom of a failing engine.[/align][/align]My second thought is that (and I mean no offense here), from the questions you are asking it seems as though you do not have the technicalknowledge or experience torebuild the engine. If this is so and you will be paying someone else to do the work then you are looking at a$2k to $4kdollars worth of work just to get a new (or even donor) engine into the car, and then another couple thousand or so to get the supercharger on and tuned.[/align][/align]Then there's the possibility that the clutch, tranny, and/or rear-end are also beat-up--you won't know 'til you get the engine running properly.[/align][/align]This $8k car could end up costing you twice that in a very short time...[/align]
+1