4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hydroboosters and rear brake hot chicks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Default Hydroboosters and rear brake hot chicks!

Figured that would get your attention! Please read......
Brakes feel kinda spongy today not terible but not sure if I want to let my wife drive it tommorrow. I know from past experience this means air in the hydraulics. The solution was to find out where the leak was and replace the defective part and bleed the system.
HOWEVER:
I had this problem once already this year and took it to the shop and they "adjusted" the "rear" brakes and replaced the pads. I was told again by ANOTHER shop that it could be a rear brake adjustment that was needed. I am dumbfounded or just dumb....
Question:
1. What kind or adjustment is possible on disc brakes for the rear?
2. How can an "adjustment" add presure?
3. Has anyone had a problem with their Hydro-Booster and if so what were the symptoms.

BTW my rear brakes are disc its a 1998 GT 4.6. with a stock hydra booster set up.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hydroboosters and rear brake hot chicks!

alright, can't help with hydraboost symptoms, but i'll give the run down on the "rear brake adjustments" ().

If its anything like my car, a small block called a proportioning valve is located below the master cylinder. Don't let the name confuse you, it does not "proportion" the front/rear brake bias, but rather proportions thepressure to the rear brake line circuit. The proportioning valve is installed because if it takes 1000 psi of pressure to stop your front brakes, 1000 psi would also go to your rear brakes and lock your rear brakes up and you'll spin out.The proportioning valvereduces the pressure by using spring-loaded valve that closes when a certain pressure is reached,twisting this spring up and down changes the pressure the valve closes at.

If that confuses you, i can explain it better, but allthe "brake adjustment" sounds like to me is a band-aid to what the problem may actually be because the mechanic is more or less increasing pressure in the front brake circuit to simulate a stiffer brake pedal. If you have a haynes manual, i know they have a set of hydraboost test to see if it is in working order, if not, i wouldadvise u pick one up.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:02 AM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hydroboosters and rear brake hot chicks!

I found the proportioning valve. Now I am wondering if anyone knows how much should turn it at any given time to adjust (how sensitive it is). Also what direction shifts to the front to make the pedal more firm?
I will get a manual tomorrow.
Thanks,