4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Accufab TB and Plenum install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Accufab TB and Plenum install

I've read that too. Thats why I am getting a dyno tune right after the install.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 AM
holmes14
2nd Gear Member

what kinda hp gains can you expect with this combo?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

I know there are a lot of threads on this but some of them are pretty old and I want to get some up to date info. I am buying the accufab combo and want to know how difficult it will be to swap out my stock setup. From what I have read so far, it looks pretty straight forward. Any gotcha's I need to know about. My TPS screws will come out easy. That seemed to be a problem for some. Is this just a 30-60 minutes swap? Getting a dyno tune right after. Don't bring me down.I am looking forward to this.
I did it a couple of weeks agon on my 03 GT vert and it's a 30 minute swap.
Do the TPS screws while the stock unit is on the car!
Mine came out easily.
Be careful not to drop any screws/parts/labels into the intake hole.
The cruise and throttle cables unhook. Look at the backside where they connect to the throttle plate lever and
you will see how they go on.
It's also easier to remove them while the stock unit is bolted on the car rather than holding it in your hands
trying to unhook them.

I ended up returning mine because my low end performance went down the tubes and the famous Accufab idle hang drove my automatic nuts when I was coming to a stop.
Yes I reset the TPS to spec and everything was installed correctly with no leaks etc.
The car was obviously running lean although I heard no pinging.
Putting the stock combo back on brought back all my power and driveability.

Talking with a local Mustang shop, they told me the autos react differently to the combo and that the idle hang MIGHT have fixed itself after a few days of driving and if not a tune would fix it. Most cars don't need a tune, even after the 75mm combo, but some do and mine was one of them even with the 70mm combo.

Do a dyno before and after to really get an idea of what is going on.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all that info. I really helps. I was going to get a tune anyway. Where did you buy yours? I got mine at American Muscle. They are pretty good about taking stuff back but I am not sure about used stuff. I am hoping the tune will work out any little issues that result from the swap, like running lean for one.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

This is really easy to install. But don't get your hopes up for[/align]a large HP/TQ gain.[/align]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

It is an easy install. Before you start unhook your battery cable. I put on a BBK 75mm TB/Plenum kit about a month ago. The only problem I had was with the throttle cable. I had to take the kit back off and drill the hole in BBK TB a little larger to getthe cableto fit properly. I took my time and spent about an hour and a half. By then the computer had forgotten all of its previous settings. I hooked up the battery and started the engine. I let it idle for about 15 minutes so that the computer could reprogram itself. The car ran great after that. (I have a manual transmission.)

You may or may not get an increase in horsepower. I have heard some say they saw a decrease in horsepower. It depends on the other mods that you have.An independent dyno test ofthe BBK kit (not on my car) on a stock engine showed no gain at all on a stock engine and an 18rwhp gainon a car with a Procharger.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I don't expect to gain too much right now but next spring, I plan oninstalling new heads and cams and I think at that time, the benefit of extra air flow will be noticable. I am getting a dyno tune shortly after this install so maybe the accufab will squeeze out a few more HP.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all that info. I really helps. I was going to get a tune anyway. Where did you buy yours? I got mine at American Muscle. They are pretty good about taking stuff back but I am not sure about used stuff. I am hoping the tune will work out any little issues that result from the swap, like running lean for one.
I got mine from AM as well and they didn't really give me a hard time about the return.
Initially they said I needed a tune after the install and that wasn't their problem but when I asked them where it says
that on their web, like it does for other items, they agreed to take it back.
I think they charged me like $5.00 for restocking or something which is totally fine with me.

AM is definately kool and one of the best places to deal with.

I did a TON of research on this mod for our cars and I think there is a lot of misconceptions out there, especially for the automatic cars.
1. On a manual you are generally shifting up high in RPM and THIS is where the the Accufab extra breathing comes into play.
On the automatic, shifting is done down low in normal driving unless you are flooring it all the time.
This accounts for the feeling of loss of low end torque that was obvious on my car. In fact I swapped the stock and Accufab 2x just to be sure. It was THAT noticeable.

2. The idle hang, or slow return to idle is annoying on a manual car. However on an automatic it is extremely annoying.
It's kind of like keeping your foot on the gas while using the brake to slow the car to a stop.
The tranny isn't sure when to down shift and it gets confused.
There are 2 fixes for this. Sometimes, after a few days of driving the ECM finally figures things out and adjusts.
Or you can get a tune and change the "return to idle" parameter (or something like that, I don't remember the exact name) which will also fix the problem.

My conclusion is, if you get this combo you really need a tune to get the most out of it and in that case the mod is an excellent one and will set you up for FI in the future should you decide to go that route.

I wasn't interested in a tune so mine went back.
My friend installed the exact same combo on his automatic, had the same problems I did and went for a tune and it fixed everything and his car has a better top end than mine while the low end torque seems to be about the same, after the tune.
Before the tune he had the idle hang and SOP dyno low end torque loss just like me.
His car is a 2004, mine is a 2003 vert and he has a Bassani and I have Magnaflow catback.
Still another friend with a 2003 manual just bolted them on and it worked great.
No loss of low end and the car revs much *lighter* now. (Tough to explain but you will know it when you feel it)
Noticeable improvement on his totally stock car.

So go figure!
(I'm sure you're confused now, but go for it and since you are getting a tune you are going to love the combo!)

BTW you can Google all this stuff and spend months reading it all [8D]
My advice is try and see for yourself.
With a tune, you'll be good to go!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I guess we'll see what happens. Unless I notice a real problem, I will definitely keep it on. Good to know about the idle hang issues also. Like I said before, if any problems develop, I am hoping the custom tune will straighten them out. I'll definitely post my dyno results and let everyone know how the install went.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I guess we'll see what happens. Unless I notice a real problem, I will definitely keep it on. Good to know about the idle hang issues also. Like I said before, if any problems develop, I am hoping the custom tune will straighten them out. I'll definitely post my dyno results and let everyone know how the install went.
Best of luck and keep us informed!!!!!