4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

changing front brakes please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

Default changing front brakes please help!!!!

okay i know im probably an idiot for not figuring it out, but why cant i get the caliper of the rotar? im stuck on trying to pull the pins out that you have to loosen and they just spin and dont budge. please help, its a pain in the azz
Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 PM
dafizuck
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: changing front brakes please help!!!!

[hr]There are only two bolts that need to come out. There are four total bolts, but you need to remove the INSIDE two. I didn't notice the problem you did when uninstalling those bolts. This might help...http://w w w. stangnet .c o m/tech/spring.html
Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I don't know what "pins" you're talking about, but they are probably the wrong onesto be messing with. Like dafizuck said, it's the two inside bolts; the ones that screw into the caliper from the back side of it. There's one on the top and one on the bottom of the caliper. They're pretty substancial in size, which is why I think you're playing with the wrong parts. You'll know when you've found them. Take them off and the caliper should just fall off of there.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM
qpHalcy0n

Are you doing front or rear brakes?

They're both very similar, but on the front, on mine the topmost slide pin is a part of the caliper body, not the bracket body, so you would pivot the caliper up then out. They can be very tight so you may need a prybar to pry the caliper body off. You dont need to detatch the entire assembly, just the actual caliper so if you're messing with the 15mm bolts behind the guard you're messing with the wrong ones....

On mine, the front slide pin bolts are Torx, and on the rears they're 1/2 (13mm). The bracket bolts I believe are 15mm's. So if you're just doing your pads, just leave those alone. Also note that for the rear you'll need a rear piston compression adapter or just the tool, which you can borrow from Autozone or somethin.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
ezerojas

This might help:
There are 4 bolts on the backside of the brake caliper….2 long ones towards the sides (do NOT remove these), and 2 small ones directly in back of the caliper (see illustration). Those 2 small ones hold the caliper onto the rotor assembly. Unbolt those (15mm) and remove the caliper. You might need to decompress the caliper a bit by squeezing it up top. Pull it off, and you will see a tiny hole on the caliper, bend the coat hanger so it pulls through, and hang the caliper by a nut in the wheel well. You’ll see it when you look.
Source: HERE