4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

automatic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Default automatic tranny

Its time for me to service my auto tranny andI was wonderin what fluid works best with these cars. I'm gunna do it myself. Anything I should know or do while I'm at it?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic tranny

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 AM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

ok, visited the site and confused as hell.... [&:]
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

What are you confused about? You need Mercon V spec ATF fluid.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

mobile 1 synthetic ftw.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

thats what i was thinking of, the Mobile 1. how's B&M trick shift? i've heard good and bad bout it... oh! and what else do i need to do aside from just change the fluid?....[&:]
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShinobiOfLegends

thats what i was thinking of, the Mobile 1. how's B&M trick shift? i've heard good and bad bout it... oh! and what else do i need to do aside from just change the fluid?....[&:]
loaded question haha....in terms of regular maitenance, fluid swaps are all you really NEED to do. Lots of people on here would say that for an auto, a transmission fluid cooler is a must...also go here: http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/tra...on/index.shtml and read up on the "J-Mod"

Everything I've ever heard of about shift kits is negative and that pretty much anything you need to do to change shift points/firm up shifts can be done with a hand-held tuner like an Xcal2.

Then depending how deep into a built tranny you want to get, start looking at higher stalls and tourque converters...but the latter two only if you really start planning on making some serious power.

"NEED" is a very opinionated word around here hahaha.....some will say all you NEED is a fluid change.....other will NEED to drop in all of the above in haha...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

now thats helpful!! ^^ i'm already getting a cooler. it's this one right here. i bought it off summit racing. http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...at=&pid=75i only plan on a full exhaust and intake setup and 3.73gears. so i dont need a tough tranny. alltough i do have a lead foot... but i've dont have a lot of money. also, i heard a lot of good and bad things on shift kits. especially after reading other posts. apparantly transgo is the best.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Bradley139
1st Gear Member

DEX 3, its the best!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

ORIGINAL: ShinobiOfLegends

loaded question haha....in terms of regular maitenance, fluid swaps are all you really NEED to do. Lots of people on here would say that for an auto, a transmission fluid cooler is a must...also go here: http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/tra...on/index.shtml and read up on the "J-Mod"

Everything I've ever heard of about shift kits is negative and that pretty much anything you need to do to change shift points/firm up shifts can be done with a hand-held tuner like an Xcal2.

Then depending how deep into a built tranny you want to get, start looking at higher stalls and tourque converters...but the latter two only if you really start planning on making some serious power.

"NEED" is a very opinionated word around here hahaha.....some will say all you NEED is a fluid change.....other will NEED to drop in all of the above in haha...
I agree pretty much with this post.
The problem with shift kits is that you are trading one problem for another.
By making the tranny shift faster, ie:not slide into gears, you are prolonging the clutch life much like you do by NOT riding the clutch on a manual car.
The problem is, this increased pressure results in increased temperature and also there are various different methods of increasing the pressure and some are better than others. Read the links about about Jerry's mod for information.

I say get a cooler, use Mercon V (or whatever Ford suggests for your year car) and stay clear of shift kits with the exception of the jmod.
Whatever you do, DON'T use a one size fits all kind of fluid.
Use the factory fluid.