4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what risk's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default what risk's?

a friend of mine just bought a 02 gt automatic, just got his license 2 weeks ago. this is his 1st car. he was drivin and as we approached his drive way he was doin about 10 mph and wanted to throw it in neutral to throw a rev and accidentally threw it in reverse. the car reacted in way like it felt like it was downshiftin and it sounded like the exact opposite sound a twin screw supercharger makes when it's whinin up but sounded like it was whinin down. he quickly threw back in neutral and stopped the car. we went for another drive around to see if he broke sumthin but the car was shiftin perfectly fine and then threw it reverse and drove that fine as well, so we assumin he's lucky the tranny still intact. now heres the question, what are the many risks involved in throwing it in reverse while doin 10 mph accidentally??
Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what risk's?

M guess what happens is the trans tries to put torque into an opposite direction in which so much energy and force is going. It puts stress and strain on the drivetrain. DONT do it again and you wont have to worry. I saw mythbusters when they were doin like 50 and tried to throw it in reverse, a crown vicI think, and nothing happens, it rolls to a stop, the trans just wont shift into reverse, may be the case, but it does not sound like it.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

yea we sworn he thought he broke sumthin. but luckily he didn't. car still drives fine foward and reverse and tranny oil looks pretty clear too, he was extremely lucky, plus i guess what helps is that it was thrown in reverse for like 5 seconds and then he instantly threw back in neutral after realizin what just happened. NEVER again lol. Ford built tough i guess.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

yea 10mph isnt that much momentum compared to something like 40mph
Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

umm if i remember right you have to have your foot touching the brake atleast enuff to have the brake lights on in order to get the car into reverse so im guessing were not hearing the whole story to this (unless he was braking while trying to rev)

reguardless...i dont know ALL the risks...but somethings gonna break doing that. if it dont sound good...something isnt liking it. wheather its the tranny, the drivetrain, i dont know but somethings gonna give out if u do that enuff.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Idiot!
I'll bet whoever he was going to "throw a rev" to got a good laugh.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Idiot!
lol, yea dat would be sum funny ****, but i kept tellin his dumb *** is freakin lucky dat no one was around and he didn't break nuttin
Old 10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRed03GT

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Idiot!
lol, yea dat would be sum funny ****, but i kept tellin his dumb *** is freakin lucky dat no one was around and he didn't break nuttin
i love the ebonics with the keyboard..

as for your question.. 2 things happened.. either he sniffed paint when he was a kid.. or ate too many chinese toys made with lead...

dont do it again... and btw when youre going forward and throw it in reverse at any speed.. youre going to snap something and cause thousands in damage. sounds like your buddy should have gotton a 5 speed... but i could only imagine what hed do with that thing.

on top of all the crap i just gave you and your buddy.. reving your engine in neutral = SPUN ROD BEARING... if that happens plan on a new motor.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i will admit it i have done the same thing when i first put my cat back on i went to put it in neutral and i went to reverse at about 20 and my tranny is still fine but i learned the i have to look when i go to put it in neutral
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99 GT vert

i will admit it i have done the same thing when i first put my cat back on i went to put it in neutral and i went to reverse at about 20 and my tranny is still fine but i learned the i have to look when i go to put it in neutral
everyone has done stupid **** before, and believe me ive done my fair share. and ive seen what can happen when that 1 time it goes terribly wrong. our point is yes.. you did 1 stupid thing and got away with it just as we did.. learn from it and dont do it again. though ive never put it in reverse while going forward before.

Quick Reply: what risk's?