4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible Spec clutch squeak solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Possible Spec clutch squeak solution?

So when I got my Stage 3 clutch, it squeaked something awful when the clutch was ingaged. So, I called the guys at Spec. They said to tighten the clutch cable a bit until it just "kisses" the fork. I did, and the squeak was only minorly better. I tightened it some more, a little beter. I tightened it a bit more and the squeak is all but gone. It is still kind of there for first and second gear, but after that, it's gone.

Now, here's the question: How would I know if I tightened it too much? The clutch grabs and releases right where I want it to: at the begining of pressing the clutch pedal. It will release about two inches in and fully engage at about the same spot. That means that I have 2 inches or less of pedal play before the clutch is actuated. Is that right/safe? If so, the this post should be stickied and put smiley faces on because it will make quite a few people happy Any input?

Here is the post that this problem was being worked on: CLICK HERE
Old 10-13-2007, 05:04 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Possible Spec clutch squeak solution?

i wouldnt suspect you would want too much tension between the transmission mount for the clutch cable and the clutch fork. too much of this could a possibility for air gap when the clutch is in the release ( pedal up position). im not sure of the nature ( friction material) of the clutch but i would adjust the cable to where it has little to no play in between the fork and the transmission.

i assume you put a new throw out bearing in when you did the clutch.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:17 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Possible Spec clutch squeak solution?

I think so. I didn't do the clutch swap, the shop did. But it was everything that comes with the Stage 3 kit, which includes the TOB I believe.

And I don't understand what you're talking about with the play in the clutch cable. Here is what it's like now: when the clutch pedal is in the UP position, you can grab the cable and wiggle it a bit. Not a lot, but still a bit. I can't pull on the cable from under the car and have any effect on the amount of cable comming out of the firewall. So, it is snug against the fork. The pressure from the pedal is very consistant and solid. The clutch disengages when the pedal is pushed in about a third of the way. It will go from fully engaged to fully disengaged in a distance of about a half inch. It is very quick. Sound right to you?