4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Auto or Manual on an 04 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto or Manual on an 04 GT?

I have a 95 Gt auto with a shift kit and a 98 Gt manual. and I would say if I was going to drive one everyday I would pick the auto. The shift kit DEFINITELY makes it way more fun. Manual is more fun for cruising on country roads and all though.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
On2U

Now I'm really on the fence! This is the exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. If I'm not thrilled with the idea of putting a shift kit in how far will a tuner that can change shift points get me? Does it make a difference?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

I dont know about a tuner on a mustang, but in my 05 F150 it made a very noticeable difference in the 1-2 shift. on the tuner i have (edge evolution) it gives you from 1-25 on shift firmness and i put it on 25. You should just install the shift kit though. even if you have to pay someone it shouldnt be that bad. well worth it. the manual is fun though, not going to lie to you.. just if i had to choose one as DD it would be the auto.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I have had both a '03 auto and a '99 stick. I personally like the stick better only because I hate the 4r70w (just an opinion) BUT the tuner, mine was a diablosport, will make all the difference in the world. I would say if you are going to get and auto make sure you have a tuner delivered the same day.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: On2U

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

01ish to 04. I beleive the 99-00 were t45's, and they are not THAT bad, with your plans, itll last you forever as long as you maintain it
I really appreciate your insight, can you tell me more about the throw out bearing issue or possible head issues? Anything specific I should look or listen for when test driving? I did use the search function but the results were confusing and these were the two mainissues I kept reading about. Thanks again!
I cant tell you anything about the throwout bearing, all I know is at low speeds with my wheels turned, and push the clutch in while in 1st gear, there is a thud and what I have gathered, this is normal. The only head issues I have ran upon were the 03-04 cobra driver side head, and the fact that 2V mustang heads dont flow worth a shiit. Nothing unusual that you should look for that I can think of. Just your normal inspections, weird noises, vibrations, ticking, all the routine inspections should do it. There may be something else to look, but if there is I didnt look for it when I bought mine and I wouldnt know what it is now. Good luck
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

I have an auto 04 gt, i have the sct tune and on the WOT choice, i put it like 75% hgiher then stock, is it bad to put it all the way? To be honest, when i first bought my auto i was really sad, i went to every dealer trying to trade it in for a 5 speed but the payments went up 80 bux more a month and i wasnt gon pay that just for a 5 speed. Yea peole say autos are better if there "fixed", and that just costs a lot of money. In my opioion i think STICK is always gon be the best, unless somehow mustangs come out with that DSG tranny thats in the new gti and r32s loll
Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

I wanted a manual so bad, but could only find a good deal on a auto...

But like everybody says, get a shift kit/stall converter/etc and you wont really care that much. Hell, for the price difference between a atuo and a manual... you could probally almost get a cheaper auto, and drop a manual transmission in and come out even. Just an Idea.

I still wish that I had a manual every day Then again, i DONT have a shift kit, stall converter, OR even a tune to change the shift points. Cars still quick tho
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

At first I wanted to go with a 5spd, but with it being a car that the wifey also wanted to drive, I decided to go with the auto. At first I had my doubts, but I am now glad I went with the auto. For one, I dont spin my tires as much (nasty habit of mine with sticks) and that is saving me on tires, and second, I have out paced many cars simply because of driver error. I dont take my car to the track, and ashamed to say most of my racing has been on the street, but for the couple of times I've put my bone stock daily driver up againt others, I have really held my own because of more consistent shifting. I think its so much of an edge actually, that I've added the tranny cooler, gears, and a stall to the list of mods to be done right after the FIAnd it is so much nicer to drive in heavy traffic in my opinion, I just disengage the Over Drive and it makes it so much fun in Chicago traffic.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

im from the 6er section and i have a 2001 auto (but soon enough ill be in the 4.6 section with a GT 5-spd)... thats the reason im selling it. first off, i cant deal with the lag in the pedal when i give my car gas, and second, i need soemthing to do when im driving. i want a stick!!!

anyways, if you have ur mind set on an auto after everyone's responses, i just got a tuner for my car and the shifts are much firmer and the car pulls harder after each shift. i chirp second gear now believe it or not and i have an auto 6er

so like everyone is saying, its just preference and what you like best. if you will get tired of driving a manual, than go for the auto.

im a teen so i cant wait til someone asks me "is it an 8"
and i say "yeah its an 8"
"is it a stick?"
"yup =)))))"

idk if this post helped but just do what you'll enjoy most
Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Blowby01GT
1st Gear Member

I have a 01 GT Auto, and I love the tranny it has gotten the job done, and done it very very well, at the drag strip and the daily drive! I think alot of the post with people with the 5 speed gts eithier dont live in city traffic or they have weekend drivers! Eithier way the 5 speed is nice and very fun but in traffic going through all the gears at every stop light is tiring! And plus u can always get a upgrade kit for your automatic!

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual on an 04 GT?