4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Here's how you install a fuel filter (big pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Here's how you install a fuel filter (big pics)

Ok, first, I should get a gold crown for this one! I just about went blind changing this thing out (gas in the eye isn't such a good idea). I was wearing eye protection, but the gas got through anyway. So, for those of you like me who use a jack and jack stands, put that car as high as you safely can! Get it in the air and give yourself some room to move around. I didn't have much and I certainly paid for it.

Ok, first, the filter is located on the front side of the gas tank. Stick your head under there and you'll see it.

I took one of the bolts in the bracket out first.

Then I loosened the ring around the filter. The filter was rusted in, so I just proceded with it attached. As I said, I was cramped in there and didn't have too much range of motion. I decided to keep the old filter and bracket up there and just switch the lines directly over to the new filter. The top hand line spews fuel all over the place, so be careful. (sorry, I don't have pics of this step, only the finished product after the bracket is removed)

You can see that the lines will hold the filter in there just fine. Once that second bolt came out of the bracket, it came right out.

All that's left is to put the bracket back on. Back the strap all the way out and swing it over the filter. Then you can just thread it back through and tighten it down.

One last note, take a look at these holes in the line. There are four of them going around the outside of it. Those are for the little clamps that come with the filter. Don't do what I did and try to force them into one of the holes. One arm of the clamp goes in one hole and the other arm goes in a hole next to it. It's there to clamp the hose onto the filter nozel.

I know this isn't my best write up yet, but it is the best I could do with fuel in my eye. If you need to do this, just let me know and I'll tell you whatever you need to know. It's really not that hard at all, just make sure you can move around well under the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
96gtchinook
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Here's how you install a fuel filter (big pics)

nice, are you beginning your supercharger install?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
89Convert
2nd Gear Member

isnt there a pressure relief switch somewhere in the truck area that you press before this install to keep the fuel from spraying out? or did you do that and it was still pressurized anyway? I need to change mine...I think it has the original one in there.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

lol, not yet. I'm moving down to NC in a few weeks and my time zone that I'm comfortable with installing it has come and gone. I'm going to wait until around mid December to install it, if I have found a job by then. Did you get your fuel stuff yet? What did you decide to go with?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Nelson21
1st Gear Member

Yah I thought there was a way to de-pressurize the system, so only a little bit off fuel comes out.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

LOL, that would make more sense Well, learn from my mistake then. If there is, that would make things much easier.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
96gtchinook
2nd Gear Member

I went with the BBK 255 lph fuel pump 90mm MAF and 42# injectors. Keep me posted about your progress. Hopefully i will be tearing into mine by then as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

How much did those three cost?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM
96gtchinook
2nd Gear Member

got the bbk pump for 40 shipped, MAF for 90 shipped, and injectors for 300 shipped
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Not bad, MAF and pump were used I take it? I'm still trying to figure out my setup. It's pretty much like yours, but I just found out you can add a Blow Off Valve on a Vortech. I love the sound those make and if I can do that, I will. It takes a special type of MAF, though. We'll see....

Quick Reply: Here's how you install a fuel filter (big pics)