4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why did I almost T bone someone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Why did I almost T bone someone?

I was comming out of work at a 3 way intersection and when the light turned green, I went. Nothing special, just a smooth transition to first and then second. Once I was in second, I hit it a little harder than usual to finish out the 90 degree, left hand turn. I then proceded to spin out and my nose pointed right at a car in the lane next to me. Luckily, I was able to correct it and get back on track. It was raining outside, but that shouldn't have made too much of a diffference, should it? I mean, I don't even think I was going over 20 mph at the peak of the turn. I have pretty good tires on there, so that shouldn't be the problem.

So my question is this, will my stiffer suspension make the car have more of a tendancy to do that? I have never done that before without meaning to and I am wondering what happened tonight. Could it be the stiffer suspension, or should the stiffer suspension help traction in the rain?

And yes, I know that the road was slick, that the roads are slicker right when the rain starts and just after it ends and yes I know that the max speed for a 90 degree turn is 20 mph. Let's leave the insulting out of this one, mmmk?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why did I almost T bone someone?

i have prokit, kyb agx s/s, andlower and upper ca's. on kumho ecsta asx tires, and in the rain i have to be really careful because the rear end tends to slide out quite easily. i do it unintentionally even when i am trying to take it easy. it even happened today when i was pulling out of my neighborhood this morning. i just make sure that there is never anybody in the next lane when i pull out in the rain just in case i were to slide out.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

dude my car will try to spin out going 10mph. very slowly but it will try. mustangs hate anything but dry weather.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

It was raining and you hit it coming out of a sharp turn... of course you lost traction. I'm sure you would have had the same result even with the stock suspension setup.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ok, well, I guess I'll have to watch it a bit closer then. It's just weird that that happened, seeing as I've had that setup for a year now. I don't know. I'm just glad I could pull out of it and no one got hut. Thanks for the insight on this one, gents.

And impaled, is that a new edge hood on your car? EDIT: No, can't be. I see the little holes on the sides like the rest of the SN-95s. What did you do to your hood?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

stock UCAs? Although that should not matter anyway. Once you break the static coefficient of friction(wheel slip) its all down hill from there. You have an angular momentum and your putting torque to an already sliding vehicle, thats just the way physics is.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

stock UCAs? Although that should not matter anyway. Once you break the static coefficient of friction(wheel slip) its all down hill from there. You have an angular momentum and your putting torque to an already sliding vehicle, thats just the way physics is.
Nope, control arms are all stock. It's on my list of things to do
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

the same thing happened to me the other day. I was taking a left turn, and my car spun sideways on me. Generally i know how to keep traction, and it shocked me it did it. Mustangs have horrible traction.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

wiait until winter time, there will be a thread every week about a wrecked mustang.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

the UCAs two functions contribute to tail wagging effect on mustang rear ends, mustang suspension all around IMO, is horrible, thats why I am spending 3K to get it right, lol

Quick Reply: Why did I almost T bone someone?