4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra spoiler??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
01redstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cobra spoiler??

Iknow what you mean. I already got all of those mods that he metioned plus alot more. I have always loved the spoiler so I went for it. Thats another reason why I didnt let the guy do the holes. I was skeptical when he said body filler...
Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Our trunks are fiberglass too.. So good luck welding that..lol
Old 11-04-2007, 01:53 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT
If he is filling holes with body filler, you need a new body shop ASAP!
How in hell else you gonna fill a fiberglass deck lid??? With Play Doh???

I'd go to a new body shop ASAP if a body shop says they would weld it.

Lynn
Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

with fiberglass mat and resin. you dont fill holes with filler. period. Sorry if i know a bit about body work(not that u need to know a whole lot to know that filler is not used to fill fukin holes). yes... play dough smart ***.... ANYWAY, i also didnt realize the trunk lid was fiberglass on the stangs(never dont any work on a mustang trunk lid in my life), so sorry about the welding comment. but if they are filling entire holes with body filler, they're out of their minds.

and, as far as the "all body filler is not bad" comment... no, it was invented for a reasion, and when used properly it is fine (proper use being to skim over and FINISH dents that have already been pulled/hammered out/straightend as much as possible with regular metal work, or in this case, fiberglass work. if you are using filler in thick quanitites, or using it to fill holes it is simply going to crack/fall out.

dont tell me im wrong here, i might be wrong about things once in a while, and no i havent been here on this particular forum for years or anything, so go ahead and look down on me and discont anything i say to help, but im not wrong there captain know it all. (to the playdoh tool bag, not you ghost)
Old 11-04-2007, 02:44 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

with fiberglass mat and resin. you dont fill holes with filler. period. Sorry if i know a bit about body work(not that u need to know a whole lot to know that filler is not used to fill fukin holes). yes... play dough smart ***.... ANYWAY, i also didnt realize the trunk lid was fiberglass on the stangs(never dont any work on a mustang trunk lid in my life), so sorry about the welding comment. but if they are filling entire holes with body filler, they're out of their minds.

and, as far as the "all body filler is not bad" comment... no, it was invented for a reasion, and when used properly it is fine (proper use being to skim over and FINISH dents that have already been pulled/hammered out/straightend as much as possible with regular metal work, or in this case, fiberglass work. if you are using filler in thick quanitites, or using it to fill holes it is simply going to crack/fall out.

dont tell me im wrong here, i might be wrong about things once in a while, and no i havent been here on this particular forum for years or anything, so go ahead and look down on me and discont anything i say to help, but im not wrong there captain know it all. (to the playdoh tool bag, not you ghost)
Ionly know a littleabout body work, lol. BUT my buddy who works at a body shop filled the hole where his antennea was in with some kind of plastic material, what it is, IDK, its kind of like body filler, but im not positive. He did this 4 years ago on his WS6and still looks great. I dont know if its body filler or not, but if it is, its holding up great and looks flawless. He said he would use the same stuff on my decklid because I am going spoilerless. So I am not saying your wrong injected, but there is some kind of material to fill these holes in so somewhere out there, lol
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04SBGT

ok i have a 04 gt.. and im wanting a 03-04 cobra spoiler... anyone know if a factory one will fit and cover up holes? or if they make a kit for it.. thanks for any help i get..
Hey bud, keep looking around. I got a complete decklid (trunk + spoiler)from a 2003 Cobra for $350.

There are deals to be had so keep checking ebay and scrap yards that deal in Mustangs. Here are 2 that I know of.

www.prestigemustang.com
www.mpsautosalvage.com

Just remember one thing, it is your car and your money. If you want to put a cobra spoiler on your car go ahead and do it no matter what anyone else says.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Settle your horses there buck, I wasn't slamming you, you would know it if I was.

I've seen holes filled with filler last for years.

In high school body shop I've witnessd guys stuff their bags of lunch in a guys fender and cover it with bonda pressed on the fender smoothed and painted, it lasted for three for four years. The guy couldn't tell from where the smell was coming from for afew weeks, but it held up pretty good. LOL!!
Lynn
Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

but if they are filling entire holes with body filler, they're out of their minds.
with fiberglass mat and resin. you dont fill holes with filler. period.
Fiberglass is a body filler.

I used fiberglass to fill the holes on my decklid. I then used bondo to fill in the tiny pits and make it completely smooth.

BUT my buddy who works at a body shop filled the hole where his antennea was in with some kind of plastic material
Bondo is a plastic filler.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

metal and body filler(bondo is a brand of body filler, not a general term for the stuff) expand and contract at different rates and will seperate if you fill holes or use too thick of a layer of filler..
there are fiberglass fillers, but fiberglass in itself is not a type of body filler. idealy, to fill holes in a fiberglass pannel you use fiberglass MAT and resin, smooth it out as best as you can, let it dry, sand as smooth as possible, then use a small skim coat of filler to finish filling in the pits and smooth it all out.
There are always "well a buddy did this, we did that, he did this" stories... fact of the matter is, its not the RIGHT way to do lasting, quality body work. if you think, you saw, you heard that it lasts long and has no problems... MAYBE just MAYBE it happened once in a while, in most climates, most situations, its wrong and will show after a short time.
Im not here to argue, but i do know what is the right way to do body work, and filling in complete holes with filler is not the right way to do it.