4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dummy light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Dummy light comes on

Just thought I would ask before i take it into the shop. I was driving along in my 02 GT and i hit a pretty rough pot hole, made my CD player skip rough...and how i knew i was low on gas, but not on empty, LOW GAS light comes on and i look at the needle and its past the E and i'm like huh, thats not right, normally it comes on before you even hit E. So I stop at the gas station put 15 dollars in. get back in start it up and normally the gauge will go up, but it didn't, i'm like ok, i'll drive it and c what happens. as soon as i take off the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on. The low fuel light never turned off nor did the gauge go up. I did the test gauge trick and it said under fuel the gauge was @ 255, whatever that means. I was like what the hell.. Turn it off and made certain the gas cap was on correctly, sure was. drive off the next 6 miles to home and it drove fine. just wondering if you guys have any ideas...oh yeah car is under warranty has 32.6k miles

thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dummy light comes on

Dude... im stumped. Ive never heard of anything of the sort. My low fuel light comes on well after my gas hand hits the red, almost below it. But when I fill up it doesnt touch the full line completely. I have no clue what your problem could be but im sure someone here will be of some assistance.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Under warranty, just take it in man. My car is just the opposite. I don't know if I even have a low fuel light. I have never seen it. And my needle goes way way past the F and the line when I fill'r up. My gas guage is not accurate at all. Musta been one hell of a pothole.....
Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: CFLstangGT

Just thought I would ask before i take it into the shop. I was driving along in my 02 GT and i hit a pretty rough pot hole, made my CD player skip rough...and how i knew i was low on gas, but not on empty, LOW GAS light comes on and i look at the needle and its past the E and i'm like huh, thats not right, normally it comes on before you even hit E. So I stop at the gas station put 15 dollars in. get back in start it up and normally the gauge will go up, but it didn't, i'm like ok, i'll drive it and c what happens. as soon as i take off the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on. The low fuel light never turned off nor did the gauge go up. I did the test gauge trick and it said under fuel the gauge was @ 255, whatever that means. I was like what the hell.. Turn it off and made certain the gas cap was on correctly, sure was. drive off the next 6 miles to home and it drove fine. just wondering if you guys have any ideas...oh yeah car is under warranty has 32.6k miles

thanks
Had a similar instance w/my 00 V6. Fuel gauge was d-e-a-d for like two days. Then suddenly it just 'sprung' to life..ocassionaly at start up it won't respond, then after a second or two it works fine. Engine light however has never come on. Code scanned it a couple times just to see if the computer was waiting to throw the light on..nada. If it's under warranty you might just want to take it in. It's free right?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Do you know the code, because if you do i can save you a trip to the garage. Emann, you dont have a LFL in youres.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

took it in first thing this morning...apparently the code they got from it meant "short in fuel pump" at least that is what the advisor told me. Their remedy is to replace the entire fuel pump. I'm thinking it may be the sending unit, whatever we'll find out tomorrow....thanks for the help guys!