4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rod bearing symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
snidehockey

Default rod bearing symptoms?

can you guys tell me what it sounds like when you have spun a rod bearing, or they're worn?

My car started makin some pretty obnoxious clicking noises that a buddy of mine diagnosed as rod bearings...I bought the bearings - pan gasket and oil so that we could do the job.

when we drained the pan a whopping 1 quart of oil came out...(the dipstick was reading full...I checked 3 times that week) So that was the obvious cause of this noise. We ran the oil through a paint filter and saw no metal shavings.

Our first guess was at that point to just fill it w/ the 5 quarts of oil that Igot...maybe it was starved thus causing the noise. That didn't help

we spent the following 7 hours attempting to manuever the engine/tranny/oil pan to get access to the rod bearings....YEAH that didn't happen.

so I have been driving for about 2 weeks w/ no increase in the noise (in fact sometimes it lessens)
and it's most prevalent at about 2-3k rpm.

I guess I'm just looking for some opinions here on what to do...somewhat cost effectively

the noise is like a chattering that you hear primarily around 2-3k rpms w/ and w/out clutch engaged. You can sometimes hear it at idle. I can feel it lightly in the accelerator pedal. It's the clearest right before a shift when I let off the gas if I'm shifting around 2k rpm.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Andrew00GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: rod bearing symptoms?

ehh.. id hate to be the one to break it to you my friend but... been there done that.. you got it.

I had a 2000 gt one day i got on it real hard gettin on the highway and i turn down my music and hear a knocking noise. well after thinking it was the harmonic balancer and all other things i notice my oil presure going nuts. well 1 second the pressure would be fine another second it would be no pressure. So i asked around (actualy on this site) and found out that i was done. I spun a rod bearing and yes you can hear it at an idle but moreso at higher rpms and the second you let off the gas. My oil said there was none and then checked it again and it was over full it was the strangest thing ever to experience in my life. here is a link to the video that i was sent.. they said thats the sound of a spun rod bearing.. and its so true. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRPLN3nz_o
Good luck bro.. the best to yeah!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
snidehockey

sounds very similiar...

out of curiosity what did you end up doing? Did it cost ya an arm & leg?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

If the noise is kind of faint it might not be too bad yet (you'll still have to fix it). The low oil sounds like the culprit. Same thing happened to me. Once it gets really bad you'll definitely hear it all of the timeand that's when youll start to find metal shavings in the oil. I got about a year of driving out of mine once it started. I parked it when the knocking drowned out my exhaust [:-]

I bought my own engine hoist at pep boys for 120, pulled the motor and rebuilt it myself with a used low milage shortblock I got for 650. After gaskets and little things here and there (which add up quickly) I spent about 900-1000, which is less than I was quoted just to have the motor pulled at a shop...