4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gear noise and spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 AM
usernamesarelame

Default gear noise and spark plug wires

Ok, so you all are getting to know me as that new guy with tons of questions. so here are a few more: first of all, while driving i notice a LOT of trans noise coming through the console around the shifter, i know there is pretty much nothing there to keep noise down, in fact, i pulled that panel to check out the shifter (steeda short shifter) and noticed i can see clear to the ground, but when in fifth gear (most noticeable) i hear a lot of noise coming from the trans, sounds almost like i am running my heat full blast, what is this all about??? its making me a bit nervous.
secondly, i was looking around the motor, and noticed that i cannot find the spark plug wires, or the plugs themselves for that matter, now, i am no dummy, i know my way around the motor of many cars, and have done nearly every bit of maintenence on my previous vehicles. but this one really makes me feel dumb. also, i noticed a strange pulley (i will use this for lack of a better term) that is aparently bolted to the end of the crank pulley, there is a sort of sensor set up next to it. it seems like some sort of timing based device, anodized blue, and definatly aftermarket, but what is it, and what is it for??? I'll take a picture and post it soon.
thanks for any and all advice everybody!
-kevin
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: gear noise and spark plug wires

say killer ...those after market shifters are noiser than factory ones ..
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usernamesarelame

Ok, so you all are getting to know me as that new guy with tons of questions. so here are a few more: first of all, while driving i notice a LOT of trans noise coming through the console around the shifter, i know there is pretty much nothing there to keep noise down, in fact, i pulled that panel to check out the shifter (steeda short shifter) and noticed i can see clear to the ground, but when in fifth gear (most noticeable) i hear a lot of noise coming from the trans, sounds almost like i am running my heat full blast, what is this all about??? its making me a bit nervous.
secondly, i was looking around the motor, and noticed that i cannot find the spark plug wires, or the plugs themselves for that matter, now, i am no dummy, i know my way around the motor of many cars, and have done nearly every bit of maintenence on my previous vehicles. but this one really makes me feel dumb. also, i noticed a strange pulley (i will use this for lack of a better term) that is aparently bolted to the end of the crank pulley, there is a sort of sensor set up next to it. it seems like some sort of timing based device, anodized blue, and definatly aftermarket, but what is it, and what is it for??? I'll take a picture and post it soon.
thanks for any and all advice everybody!
-kevin

This sounds like STEEDA's timeing adjuster Check out their web site http://www.steeda.com/ go to the engine section they have a pic of it, you should be able to tell if that is what it is.

As far as plug wires and plugs go, on the newer mustangs it is a coil on plug set-up, look at the fuel lines and right under them you will see the injector and next to it will be your coil/plug. Hope this helps you, good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM
usernamesarelame

yep, thats the timing adjuster.... ok, so now another question. on my way home, a dash light that i *think* is coolant came on. I didnt get an owners manual with the car, so i am still learning it. its on the far right side, amber color light, i have an 01 GT.
if anybody can tell me what this light is, i would appreciate it.
-kevin