4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Functional hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 03:09 PM
ROUSH360R
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Functional hood scoop

ORIGINAL: wwmost

Has anyone tried to make the hood scoop functional on there 02-4 mustangs?? Will this increase performance because i have a CAI and I know that sucks in hot air?
Because the sccop is too far back on the hood, at high speeds, the air flow off the front goes right over it rendering it useless. It will only allow your engine compartment cool off quicker.

Your cai filter shouldn't be mounted in the engine bay, is it?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

I've been driving with a hole cut in my honeycomb and my hood for almost a year with no problems and nothing getting it there
cool.

do you have the hole cut all the way through the hood?

if you did cut all the way through, how did you "finish" the hole out.....is it still raw metal or did you use some kind of trim? How did you keep all the insulation on the unserside of the hood from sagging onto the engine?

details please.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:12 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

cool.

if you did cut all the way through, how did you "finish" the hole out.....is it still raw metal or did you use some kind of trim? How did you keep all the insulation on the unserside of the hood from sagging onto the engine?

details please.
I started out with the plan to suck air through the scoop. Everyone seems to think that just because the air is coming through the scoop that it has to be rammed in there by the speed of the car. Just accept the fact that your engine sucks air, and if you have a path from the intake to the scoop it will suck from the scoop, even at a standstill. That being said, I cut a hole in my hood as well as drilling out the honeycombs, but that's as far as I got. I just fastened that insulation back in place just the way it was. My original plan was to weld a metal path to the underside of the hood over to the air box, in such a way that when the hood closed, it sealed on top of the air box and drew air from the scoop. My metal abilities were lacking, so I abandoned the project. I have seen it done on at least one truck though.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:46 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

cool.

details please.
I started out with the plan to suck air through the scoop. Everyone seems to think that just because the air is coming through the scoop that it has to be rammed in there by the speed of the car. Just accept the fact that your engine sucks air, and if you have a path from the intake to the scoop it will suck from the scoop, even at a standstill. That being said, I cut a hole in my hood as well as drilling out the honeycombs, but that's as far as I got. I just fastened that insulation back in place just the way it was. My original plan was to weld a metal path to the underside of the hood over to the air box, in such a way that when the hood closed, it sealed on top of the air box and drew air from the scoop. My metal abilities were lacking, so I abandoned the project. I have seen it done on at least one truck though.
Yeah. I remembered that you were talking about doing that last summer. I didn't know how far you got or how it worked out for ya.

Do you feel like it helps anything?

By the way....after I typed that in my question, I realized that the hood is not metal anyway, so you son't have to worry about rust LOL.