4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Speed release or Triple hook???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Speed release or Triple hook???

ORIGINAL: JayC

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

if it's rattling it's not adjusted right[8D]
It's perfectly adjusted
Use washers on the pivot points?
He did!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:07 PM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The "teeth" have nothing to do with holding the cable, they are entirely related to the ratcheted adjustment mechanism. All of the plastic stuff (including the OEM adjuster) is removed and the new quadrant is mounted to both fixed pins on the pedal--the OEM quadrant pin and the ratchet pin. The "hooks", one on the speed release and 3 on the triple-hook, hold the cable end.[/align][/align]The UPR speed release quadrant requires an adjustable cable and optionally a firewall adjuster, the triple-hook quadrant requires a firewall adjuster (I have the 3-hook and UPRs Quick-click adjuster), and will work with the OEM cable. I have read a number of tales of aftermarket clutch cables being of lesser quality, don't know if this is true however my car is my DD and I don't need that sort of problem cropping up 200 miles from home.[/align]

Not true as I have the UPR quick click adjuster with the UPR speed release quadrant with OEM cable and it work like it is supposed to. An "optional" firewall adjuster with an OEM cable...Sorry that a requirement unless you use an adjustable cable.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: fyouceeku

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The "teeth" have nothing to do with holding the cable, they are entirely related to the ratcheted adjustment mechanism. All of the plastic stuff (including the OEM adjuster) is removed and the new quadrant is mounted to both fixed pins on the pedal--the OEM quadrant pin and the ratchet pin. The "hooks", one on the speed release and 3 on the triple-hook, hold the cable end.[/align][/align]The UPR speed release quadrant requires an adjustable cable and optionally a firewall adjuster, the triple-hook quadrant requires a firewall adjuster (I have the 3-hook and UPRs Quick-click adjuster), and will work with the OEM cable. I have read a number of tales of aftermarket clutch cables being of lesser quality, don't know if this is true however my car is my DD and I don't need that sort of problem cropping up 200 miles from home.[/align]

Not true as I have the UPR quick click adjuster with the UPR speed release quadrant with OEM cable and it work like it is supposed to. An "optional" firewall adjuster with an OEM cable...Sorry that a requirement unless you use an adjustable cable.
[/align][/align]A UPR saleperson told me when I asked about using the OEM cable abdspeed release quadrant:[/align]
Yes we do have a retail store in Lake Worth. The hours are M-F 8-6 Sat 9-1 The factory cable must be used with a triple hook quadrant and a firewall adjuster.
Call 561 588 6630 and ask for Pat.
Thank you,

Which I interpreted as meaning an adjustable cable was needed with thespeed release...
[/align][/align]I've never seen one, and obviously a number of folks have used the combination. so I will certainly take eveyone's word that it does work...[/align][/align]I also never said the adjuster was optional with the OEM cable (read it again)--I said it was optional if you used an adjustable cable...[/align]
Old 12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

if it's rattling it's not adjusted right[8D]
It's perfectly adjusted
Use washers on the pivot points?
He did!
hmmmmmm...unless the cable's too loose I don't see how it could rattle. There should be no more than 1/8" slack in the cable at the firewall adjuster for proper clutch dis-engagement[8D].
Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 AM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

deffinately go with the fire wall adjuster. i didnt and it sucks when ever i need to adjust my clutch i have to crawl underneath and try to turn the nut which is right by the clutch fork.