4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

i cleaned my intake today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default i cleaned my intake today...

i claned my CAI today and took off everything... the intake was clogged really bad, like i had rocks and dirt in it. it was completely filled with dirt around it. i cleaned it for around 1 hour and it still looks bad so i think i need to get a replacement. people before me never cleaned the intake so i took it off today and decided to clean it before a trip im making on tuesday up to maryland. does the intake being in the fenderwell make it get dirty easier? also something i noticed that i thought was cool, on the stock TB, there is a little mustang engraved on the top of the flap. that looks cool i think. also i found out that my MAF is not stock, it is bigger than the stock and doesnt have a screen in it. not sure what size it is though? gotta figure that out one day. so i drove the car after i had the intake cleaned and it idled much smoother and the exhuast had a smoother tone to it. i also noticed much more jump and response with the car. i only took it up to 3k before i shifted and it felt like i was around 3500 rpm. really did make a big difference to me. instant horsepower gain to me, but it was lost power. wonder how big of difference it made in mileage? i know as of before i did this my mileage was pretty bad. also, i got more noise from the intake now after doing this, guess its cause it is suckin more air maybe? i like it.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: i cleaned my intake today...

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i claned my CAI today and took off everything... the intake was clogged really bad, like i had rocks and dirt in it. it was completely filled with dirt around it. i cleaned it for around 1 hour and it still looks bad so i think i need to get a replacement. people before me never cleaned the intake so i took it off today and decided to clean it before a trip im making on tuesday up to maryland. does the intake being in the fenderwell make it get dirty easier? also something i noticed that i thought was cool, on the stock TB, there is a little mustang engraved on the top of the flap. that looks cool i think. also i found out that my MAF is not stock, it is bigger than the stock and doesnt have a screen in it. not sure what size it is though? gotta figure that out one day. so i drove the car after i had the intake cleaned and it idled much smoother and the exhuast had a smoother tone to it. i also noticed much more jump and response with the car. i only took it up to 3k before i shifted and it felt like i was around 3500 rpm. really did make a big difference to me. instant horsepower gain to me, but it was lost power. wonder how big of difference it made in mileage? i know as of before i did this my mileage was pretty bad. also, i got more noise from the intake now after doing this, guess its cause it is suckin more air maybe? i like it.
I wonder what MAF you have. I have a larger than stock MAF with no screens on my 02 GT and there is no label or engraving for any company on it...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

thats just like how my MAF is, no names of any companys or anything. it just has some random letters on the top of it... let me post a pic of it if i figure how to post pics.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

http://www.rumblebee.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=1230
Old 03-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Mike02GT
1st Gear Member

how long has it been since you cleaned it?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

He said the pony was on the throttle body. And my guess is that he had never cleaned it before. It took you a hour to clean it! Thats alot.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

i would say that is the mass air that comes with the MAC Straight Shot cai, not sure though. Did you buy the intake or did that too come with the car?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

i would say that is the mass air that comes with the MAC Straight Shot cai, not sure though. Did you buy the intake or did that too come with the car?

the intake came with the car. so did weld on flowmaster mufflers. i havent done anything to the intake system as of now. do you know what brand that intake would be? i was wondering what brand it was? car feels so much better at 100+ now too. much more pull in 4th gear at those speeds.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

and im guessing it has never been cleaned before. ive only put about 1,500 miles on the car since i got it so that isnt very many.