4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Reverse...tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:37 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

Default Reverse...tranny?

I was talking with this guy at work and he's got a 98 manual GT. He was telling me the guy he bought it from did a bunch of stuff to it and just wanted to get rid of it an buy w/e. So anyway, he was telling me that he tried to gun it in reverse and it stalled on him, he told me that there were "special gears" that were only ment to go forward and not so great in reverse....

That doesnt sound right to me, but i figure i'd ask you guys. Perosnally i think he got jipped
Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Reverse...tranny?

only if he went to a higher gear ratio lol, but why would anyone do that. personally i think the reverse gear is f-ed
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Reverse...tranny?

LOL, sounds like he was feeding you a line so he didn't look embarrased by stalling it out!...LMAO My stang drives fine in reverse except before I did the Control arm upgrade it hopped like a ******! Now it hops slightly in reverse because I have too much friction mofier in. (helps the clutch packs from burning, they just grip)
There are no "special" gears for revers. It utilizes the same gear drive and obviously reverse has it's own gear, but there's nothing special about it. If anything, the reverse gear drive in the T-45 transmisions in the 1996-2001GT's suck *****!