4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitrous....help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:01 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous....help please

ORIGINAL: dennis_112
You need a wet kit.
No,he doesn't

You're perfectly fine running a dry 100 shot. Just make sure you don't do like some retards do and put it behind the MAF and wonder why their **** blew up [8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 09:42 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

i have a zex kit. its just like any other kit. all the stuff they say about air fuel and the car never going lean is bs. how can that little box read the a/f? dont think that the zex kit is any safer then any other kit. i like the kit, and easy install so no bashing but i just dont think that whole system is true.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

All it would take is one time your MAF to not pick up that extra air and its all done. You would lean out at WOT bye bye pistons.

A wet kit is a lot safer and that was the point to his question. I wasnt saying you cant run a dry kit because you canat the cost of safetybut I would recommend you getting it dyno tuned after its installed to be safe and compensate for the extra air. With a wet kit you dont have to worry about the maf picking it up because you add the extra fuel you need when you add the nitrous. With the nx plate kit you also dont have to worry as much of a nos pop. because the plate of course isnt in the intake, its between the plenum and the plastic intake manifold.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

All it would take is one time your MAF to not pick up that extra air and its all done. You would lean out at WOT bye bye pistons.

A wet kit is a lot safer and that was the point to his question. I wasnt saying you cant run a dry kit because you canat the cost of safetybut I would recommend you getting it dyno tuned after its installed to be safe and compensate for the extra air. With a wet kit you dont have to worry about the maf picking it up because you add the extra fuel you need when you add the nitrous. With the nx plate kit you also dont have to worry as much of a nos pop. because the plate of course isnt in the intake, its between the plenum and the plastic intake manifold.
This info is brought to you by the "Most uninformed post today". Please, please please don't give out technical info if ya don't know what you are talking about. THANKS
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Dry Nitrous Kit
Dry Nitrous Kits rely on your factory fuel system to supply the additional fuel requirements necessary when running a nitrous system. Dry Nitrous Kits only inject nitrous.

Wet Nitrous Kit
Wet Nitrous Kits spray both nitrous and fuel together for added safety. Please keep in mind, you need to have an adequate fuel systems that can provide the added fuel necessary.

Safety and Reliability
Today's nitrous kits are very safe and allow the user to be able to use nitrous without reliability worries as the nitrous kits monitor engine vitals and shut off the nitrous if there is a safety concern.

What is the difference between a "wet" nitrous kit and a "dry" nitrous kit?
A wet nitrous kit mixes nitrous and enrichment fuel by means of an injector nozzle that is mounted before the throttle body. This mixture is then drawn into the engine through the throttle body and intake manifold. A "dry" nitrous kit injects only nitrous with it’s injector while at the same time, increasing the engine’s fuel rail pressure to feed enrichment fuel through the engine’s own injectors.

What is better, a "wet" or "dry" kit?
It all depends on the application. A "wet" kit is ideal for both normally aspirated applications as well as forced induction applications. It can require a little bit more installation time than a "dry" kit, but is easier to tune if greater than stock HP settings are to be experimented with. A "dry" kit is excellent for normally aspirated combinations that have a return style fuel system. They are very easy to install and are a great "first time" nitrous system. It is not recommended that "dry" systems be used on forced induction engines.

Weird right off of ZEX web page?

TRUE He doesn't have a return style fuel system. Isound like a broken record.Can he run aDRY kit? Yes, but I dont recommendit if its not tuned, just for safety. Not because its not OK to run withoutit being tuned.A wet kit is typically called the safer of the two styles, I.E. NX plate kit. With the plate kit you get atomized fuel and nitrous where it should be placed. Right before the runners. It is a lot less likely for the fuel to puddle and result in a back fire. With a dry kit a lean condition can results form improper air/fuel ratio. This condition is less likely to result form a WET kit because of the added fuel.

1SLO85,
I get sick ofpeople that only get on here to proveother users of this forumwrong. I was notmisleading to him.If your not going answer the question at hand, or TRY to tell me where I mispoke then dont waste everyone's time. If you would like, let me barrow one of your crayons and I will draw you a picture. We are only talking about a100 shot dry or wet its not much, but if unexperience of with nitrous, and dont have the propersetup he or anyone will blow the plastic manifoldright off the motor. I have seen ithappen.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Dry Nitrous Kit
Dry Nitrous Kits rely on your factory fuel system to supply the additional fuel requirements necessary when running a nitrous system. Dry Nitrous Kits only inject nitrous.

Wet Nitrous Kit
Wet Nitrous Kits spray both nitrous and fuel together for added safety. Please keep in mind, you need to have an adequate fuel systems that can provide the added fuel necessary.

Safety and Reliability
Today's nitrous kits are very safe and allow the user to be able to use nitrous without reliability worries as the nitrous kits monitor engine vitals and shut off the nitrous if there is a safety concern.

What is the difference between a "wet" nitrous kit and a "dry" nitrous kit?
A wet nitrous kit mixes nitrous and enrichment fuel by means of an injector nozzle that is mounted before the throttle body. This mixture is then drawn into the engine through the throttle body and intake manifold. A "dry" nitrous kit injects only nitrous with it’s injector while at the same time, increasing the engine’s fuel rail pressure to feed enrichment fuel through the engine’s own injectors.

What is better, a "wet" or "dry" kit?
It all depends on the application. A "wet" kit is ideal for both normally aspirated applications as well as forced induction applications. It can require a little bit more installation time than a "dry" kit, but is easier to tune if greater than stock HP settings are to be experimented with. A "dry" kit is excellent for normally aspirated combinations that have a return style fuel system. They are very easy to install and are a great "first time" nitrous system. It is not recommended that "dry" systems be used on forced induction engines.

Weird right off of ZEX web page?

TRUE He doesn't have a return style fuel system. Isound like a broken record.Can he run aDRY kit? Yes, but I dont recommendit if its not tuned, just for safety. Not because its not OK to run withoutit being tuned.A wet kit is typically called the safer of the two styles, I.E. NX plate kit. With the plate kit you get atomized fuel and nitrous where it should be placed. Right before the runners. It is a lot less likely for the fuel to puddle and result in a back fire. With a dry kit a lean condition can results form improper air/fuel ratio. This condition is less likely to result form a WET kit because of the added fuel.

1SLO85,
I get sick ofpeople that only get on here to proveother users of this forumwrong. I was notmisleading to him.If your not going answer the question at hand, or TRY to tell me where I mispoke then dont waste everyone's time. If you would like, let me barrow one of your crayons and I will draw you a picture. We are only talking about a100 shot dry or wet its not much, but if unexperience of with nitrous, and dont have the propersetup he or anyone will blow the plastic manifoldright off the motor. I have seen ithappen.
That's not my point. You referred to the MAF monitoring extra air and how a wet or dry kit will affect the flow of air through the MAF. Do you have any experience with nitrous? I don't mean, what you have heard or what your uncle's second cousin's, older brother did or heard.

I have first hand experience with both wet and dry kits and have run the NOS, NX, ZEX and TNT kits. So until you have real world experience and not just what you read or hear, stick to your experience with the blower you have.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Go with a wet kit. I firmly stand behind it.

I didnt mean to step on your ego. Excuse me.God forbid if someone knows more about a mod engine then you.I have installed and tuned many nitrous kit from wet, dry,to direct port. Actually I have a complete plate kit here at my house, that I took off before installing the blower. I dont have to prove myself to you, there was nothing wrong with what I said above. Yet again no point to you posting.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i believe the wet kit is better because ithas more end user adjustability, instead of knowing how to adjust fuel maps and such you tune the vehicle with the nitrous jets to properly set the a/f ratio (most of which can bedone with a nitrous calculator)when sprayed. then all you need to do is properly back off the timing.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Go with a wet kit. I firmly stand behind it.

I didnt mean to step on your ego. Excuse me.God forbid if someone knows more about a mod engine then you.I have installed and tuned many nitrous kit from wet, dry,to direct port. Actually I have a complete plate kit here at my house, that I took off before installing the blower. I dont have to prove myself to you, there was nothing wrong with what I said above. Yet again no point to you posting.
It has nothing to do with a Mod motor. Nitrous is nitrous. SO, without reading or copying from somewhere else...what is the difference in a wet and dry kit? Basically, you are talking out your A$$. A plate kit doesn't make nitrous any safer as you posted above and again please enlighten me the whole MAF thing reading increased air from nitrous. Just admit when you are a little over your head.

I am not here to say you are right or wrong, but bad info in a tech section is not good for the forum. Thank you and please drive to the next window.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
99black5spd
1st Gear Member

well im going to go with a zex dry kit and its going to get tunned by xxtuning so i wont have to worry about that...im actually going to buy the kit within a few days...i will let you guys know how it all worked out...now im not sure what shot i am going to run...prob and 75 or 100 and that i iwll let you guys no too...thanks for all the great answers and feedback you guys were a really big help