4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TOB question, just replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default TOB question, just replaced

okay so I replaced me clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, rear main, and TOB all b/c the clutch was close to going out, the flywheel had cracks and the TOB was squeeling like a stuck hog. NOW thats its replaced, it still friggin squeels, brand new HD TOB from Ford Racing. Can it be as simple as a clutch adjustment? What would cause a brand new TOB to start squeeling? The damned thing squeels with the slightest pressure on the pedal up until full engagement, any ideas??
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: TOB question, just replaced

Go with a new quadrant and firewall adjuster, it MAY help. But it's common to get a crappy TOB. I always say they (all brands TOB) are made at the same place in fuggin China!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

bummer, thats the whole reason I went ahead and did all that work
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

bummer, thats the whole reason I went ahead and did all that work
It sucks, had that problem when i was running my KC clutch. With my Centerforce I said screw it and did the firewall/quadrant swap, Hell our quadrants are cheap plastic POS anyway!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

mine does the same thing. did you look a the tob retainer shaft on the trans? did it show signs of galling? mine does and I believe that is causing al of the squeeling probs n my case. the bad thing about the t45s is that you can't change the tob retainer like on a t5. if you need to change it you have to buy a whole bellhosuing assembly from ford wich cost $500. it is so redculous.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

u do know your suppose to lube the TOB as well... made that mistake....never had a prob with it... removed the transmisson to fix it...put it backtogeather...****er whinned like a bitch...called up my transmission teacher to be like wtf did i do wrong here...he said if i didnt re lube the TOB it prob would be squeaking
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

well I didnt do the job, I attempted, ran out of time, went on vacation and then started school so I paid a mechanic to do it, i am swinging it by there later today
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

They likely replaced the TOB and not the retainer too. Assuming that's what happened, these mechanics should know better.

A little grease will quiet it down. Afirewall and quadrant adjuster will also help if not eliminate the noise - but some people still experience noise.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

u do know your suppose to lube the TOB as well... made that mistake....never had a prob with it... removed the transmisson to fix it...put it backtogeather...****er whinned like a bitch...called up my transmission teacher to be like wtf did i do wrong here...he said if i didnt re lube the TOB it prob would be squeaking
So your transmition instructor told you to put a lubrication on the throw out bearing...which spins...and your not suffering from a slipping clutch?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

So your transmition instructor told you to put a lubrication on the throw out bearing...which spins...and your not suffering from a slipping clutch?
\\

do u know what it even looks like???

it would have nothing to do with a slipping clutch... the clutch surface touches the flywheel...the TOB is behind the clutch between the tranny...has nothing to do with the acual mating surface of clutch and flywheel

Quick Reply: TOB question, just replaced