4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech vs. Paxton vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech vs. Paxton vs. Procharger

You are probably making around 6 psi right now. That series 1 is capable of 11-12 psi, so if you pullied your car it would wake it up. If you realy wanted to, you could do a blower swap. That would help the most.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i just might do that. cuz i really dont want to swap gears are anything. and im not ever gonna change the heads. if i swap the pully for like a 9 pound pulley on the series 1 will i absolutly need to get a tuner or is there a chip or a reflash that will make all the timing/fuel adjustments for me?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

A few points. (You guys knew I was gonna chime in at some point, my kinda discussion) If you had to do a centrifugal, I do think the Paxton is best for performance. The bottom line, for me, on centrifugal blowers is that if I was running 9 psi I would buy an aftermarket intercooler. I would not run a centrifugal w/o in intercooler. Period. It makes the Procharger product look pretty attractive, as the intercooler is included in their kit. BTW, Procharger has had zero problems over the last year and a half, yeah, 2 years ago there were seal issues. Those have all been resolved, and Procharger kits, IMO, are MORE reliable than Vortech kits at this time. Look at the people who tell you don't go Procharger. Guys, the seal issue has been resolved for a while now! Those are typically people with Vortechs or Paxtons. On that note, the people who tell you to not go twin screw and go centrifugal are typically people who run centrifugal blowers. These are also people who haven't experienced twin screw blowers firsthand. When I comment on blowers it is with firsthand experience in centrifugal and twin screw units. I have owned and tuned both. Both provide advantages and disadvantages. The bottom line here is that twin screw blowers provide more advantages and less disadvantages over centrifugal units. -Especially on the street. If you were building an all out race mustang for use mostly at the track, a centrifugal blower would make a lot of sense. I'm not saying that a centrifugal blower doesn't make sense on the street, I'm saying a twin screw makes MORE sense. Maybe I should regurgitate the thread where MD said he would have gone with a twin screw if he had the chance at that point and time.
No, the bottom line is, that if you have 2 cars that are identical, except one is running a KB and one is running a centrifugal, the KB car is behind the centrifugal car at the end of the race.

Besides the fact that the KB is about 1500-2000 dollars more expensive. 1500 bucks will get you a set of heads, or camshafts and slicks with some left over.

I dunno why everyone is so crazy for KB all of a sudden. Like MD said, congradulations that your making craptons of power below 3K rpm. How many times have you shifted at 3000 RPM while racing? Hell, when launching hard I NEVER see anything below about 3200 while racing.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:01 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

to each his own.

from what ive heard the twin screw superchargers a quiet at idle. i do enjoy to modulating whine from a centrifugal though
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

if i swap the pully for like a 9 pound pulley on the series 1 will i absolutly need to get a tuner or is there a chip or a reflash that will make all the timing/fuel adjustments for me?
I'd get a tuner. You could get a re-flash, or a chip, but I would get the tuner. I think you will have less headaches over time.
No, the bottom line is, that if you have 2 cars that are identical, except one is running a KB and one is running a centrifugal, the KB car is behind the centrifugal car at the end of the race.
Back up your statement. On a car with stock cams and gears, I believe the twin screw will outperform a centrifugal at the track, not to mention the street. On the street, it isn't even close. The twin screw kills a centrifugal from a roll. I would say your statement is true if the car had gears and cams. Ever had any experience with twin screws? That's why I call BS. Back up your statement with proof. I know what you're gonna say, just like last time. "Then why do you see all the centrifugal cars at the track kicking ***. Where are all the twin screws?" Twin screws are so new to the market that there just aren't that many right now. And what about the KB cobras? They make HUGE #'s at the track. Back up your statement and gain some credibility.