4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what power gains do ported heads provide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what power gains do ported heads provide?

ORIGINAL: livefast1

i still cant seem to figure out why everyone buys ported heads with a supercharged car. imo it would be easier to buy an intercooled kit with a larger head unit and just up the boost. at 14.7 psi theoretically you should be able to double your horsepower from stock (i know this is bench racing). just seems like a lot of money compared to just upping the boost.
Because if you run 14.7 psi WITH Ported and Polished heads and even mild cams you can get far and above greater gains. Not to mention your engine will breath better. I mean, why would you get an upgraded exhaust if you can just turn up the boost a bit? You do it because it helps your engine breathe (and makes your car sound fantastic!).
Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

livefast...you ever hear of SUPPORTING MODS???

what this is...is say you throw on long tube headers on a 100% stock car... yeah it will add power.....buttt your not using those headers to full potential....you add say an intake manifold or heads or cams..or heads and cams (ported polished) your headers will be used more efficently bc it has supporting mods hence same way if you add just ported and polished heads..yeah you will make power but then add cams and headers you willl make even more power than you would adding cams and headers on a stock head...

get what im saying.... ????

heres an example without hp adding mods...like rear end
you put gears and a 500 dollar eaton in the rear but dont up grade the axles...its still being upgraded but then ur axles are still stock and weak and you go to lay the power down and boom..then u add axles and then u lay the power down and bam there u go bc u have the support of the rest of the rear end W. the axles to do what its suppose to do... usually whatever you do with exception to a couple things will react better with a better supporting mod to it.. so i mean u can put something great in head/cam/ whatever on stock.. yeah it will work well... but then add something that effects that part and both those parts will work more efficently togeather to get a better result...
Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

i still cant seem to figure out why everyone buys ported heads with a supercharged car. imo it would be easier to buy an intercooled kit with a larger head unit and just up the boost. at 14.7 psi theoretically you should be able to double your horsepower from stock (i know this is bench racing). just seems like a lot of money compared to just upping the boost.

Firts of all, if your running 14.7 psi through stock intake, heads, and cams, thats pretty retarded. The more pressure going into you cumbustion chambers, the more turbulance there will be causing each extra psi to be a little less efficient than the previous. When you add things such as ported heads, LTs, cams etc to an already boosted application, the same amount of air makes it through the engine just with less restriction. Less restriction to flow equals more HP. The less power you engine/blower is consuming by forcing the engine to ingest a certain amount of air, the more will be output.

So if your running 12 psi on a stock top end them you get ported heads, blower cams, LT headers, and a higher flowing intake manifold, your pressure readings will drop almost in half because of less restriction on the airflow. Don't get worried, the Blower will still be pushing the same amount of air (CFM) into your combustion chambers, it will just be doing it more efficeintly and with less restriction, less turbulance, less chance of spark blow out, thus creating more HP.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Because if you run 14.7 psi WITH Ported and Polished heads and even mild cams you can get far and above greater gains. Not to mention your engine will breath better. I mean, why would you get an upgraded exhaust if you can just turn up the boost a bit? You do it because it helps your engine breathe (and makes your car sound fantastic!).
Firts of all, if your running 14.7 psi through stock intake, heads, and cams, thats pretty retarded. The more pressure going into you cumbustion chambers, the more turbulance there will be causing each extra psi to be a little less efficient than the previous. When you add things such as ported heads, LTs, cams etc to an already boosted application, the same amount of air makes it through the engine just with less restriction. Less restriction to flow equals more HP. The less power you engine/blower is consuming by forcing the engine to ingest a certain amount of air, the more will be output.

So if your running 12 psi on a stock top end them you get ported heads, blower cams, LT headers, and a higher flowing intake manifold, your pressure readings will drop almost in half because of less restriction on the airflow. Don't get worried, the Blower will still be pushing the same amount of air (CFM) into your combustion chambers, it will just be doing it more efficeintly and with less restriction, less turbulance, less chance of spark blow out, thus creating more HP.
Are we not saying exactly the same thing?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Are we not saying exactly the same thing?
Sorry I meant to reply to livefast1. My bad.

edit: there I fixed it.