4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cheap Lowering Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
rwboring

Default RE: Cheap Lowering Idea?

if you cut you much off you could rub over large bumps... think about it if you have the wrong spring rate then your going to have much more give...so you lower it and have the give... not a good thing...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
OBX03GT
1st Gear Member

Im going to lower the car 2 inches all the way around exactly like the eibach sportlines will do. Buying replacement shocks are not a big deal if they go bad. Ill take your stock springs if this doesnt work out well. Im in the mids of getting bullit rims and once i put them on im going to cut the springs, my sig is my car now as we speak ill change it to the cut spring and bullit rims when its done.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Churchkey

Cut springs are acceptable if its done properly. You need to know that 1" off the spring or 1 coil will not lower the car 1" it will be much more. The distance from the center of the spring to the tire is a moment arm ( think leverage arm). Cutting springs is a trial & error modification.

Tape each front fender & take a measurement to the ground & record it.

Suggest taking 1/2 coil off & reinstall the springs. Remember to roll the car back & forth before taking a measurement, this will settle out the camber & give an accurate measurement. If you get it to low you can install an extra insulator or fab up a spacer plate for the top or bottom of the spring.Avoid twist in spring shims if at all possible. They kill an entire coil & make the spring stiffer.

Do not use a torch, use a cut off wheel to cut the springs.

Making a spring shorter increases the spring rate. Your car will have a stiffer ride.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

+1. try it out, they are 200 dollars for aftermarket ones, but i dont think it will work like you want them to. Nd your shocks will not go bad in a month or two, it will take longer. But anything can happen so be prepared.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM
rwboring

make a spring shorter does NOT increase the spring rate... the spring rate is a constant!!! actually its K in most formulas F=KX...hense why they are like 620lb/in... it takes 620lbs to move them one inch.. and this is linear... but you can get progressive springs for the rear that change (but they have a range).

Honestly, the springs are one of the cheapest things for these cars. if your not going to do the springs right then your going to half *** exhaust and everything else... in my opinion if your going to do that you might as well go buy a honda or a 80's turbo dodge...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Churchkey

ORIGINAL: rwboring

make a spring shorter does NOT increase the spring rate... the spring rate is a constant!!! actually its K in most formulas F=KX...hense why they are like 620lb/in... it takes 620lbs to move them one inch.. and this is linear... but you can get progressive springs for the rear that change (but they have a range).
Respectfully disagree. Spring pressure is rated by pounds per inch of travel. In your example a 620lb/in spring will rate at 1240lb @ 2" of travel. The spring does get stiffer when it is shortened.With a linear spring & using 1" deflection to check the spring pressure &with a spring that is shortened by 1" each coil will need to deflect a greater distance than the stockamount of deflectionto achieve 1" total travel. If each coil needs to travel a greater distance to achieve the test length the spring is stiffer.

Suggest experimenting with a coil spring rate checker & draw your own conclusions. Or if your open minded you can accept my explaination.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I cut my rears, and they've done great. I specifically wanted to keep the stockers for launch reasons, so I cut off one coil, and I think it looks PERFECT. It doesn't ride that nice, but it never did before.
[8D]

I have $40 in my front springs, $0 in the rear, and I have a car that launches well and looks decent.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Wouldn't that mean the springs are progressive rate, meaning that the more they are compressed, the more the spring is compressed, the higher the rate?? Linear springs, being a continuous spring pressure all the way through travel, would not increase tensionduring the compression cycle. If these springs are linear, it will not decrease or increase spring rating, since each coil behaves the same, the only difference being less total suspension travel (which could be confused for a softer or less... If it is progressive rate, and coils are removed, that could have the potential of increasing the spring rate, since the softer coils tend to be towards the bottom..

This is just my understanding, whether it's 100% or not.. I still am not completely sure if the Mustangs have progressive rate or not.. I thought they did, for day to day comfort...

JT
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
OBX03GT
1st Gear Member

In reply to your comment this cutting the springs idea is a experiment that i was interested in checking out to see what the results would be and i thought id throw my idea on here with fellow friends to hear there oppinions and why it would or wouldnt work, i have cash to actually dump into lowering my car but i was just curious if this would work, i still havent done it yet im waiting for a free day off where i dont have 100's of things to do so i can actually concentrate on cutting these springs and see how it does! You can also kiss my *** because im not buying some rice burning bucket to play around with! All this lowering idea is fixable, i dont need to go buy an additional vehicle like a HONDA to mess around with the suspension on!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Your in the same boat I was a year ago. I had and have the money to put springs in, but I decided to experiment a bit and go the route of cutting my springs. Cut 1 1/2 coils up front and that will lower your stang 1.75 inches. For the rear, cut 1 coil and you will have a small rake going on.

After driving it for a couple months (its was in storage for the winter) I still feel the ride feels about the same as stock. I havent had uneven tire wear, and my suspension still feels solid. The money I was going to spend on the springs are now saved away for what I want my first real mod to be... a Mongoose SC Kit.

Check it out: https://mustangforums.com/m_3682778/...tm.htm#3682778

Edit: Not saying my suspension isnt wearing out faster, just not as bad as made out to be by others. I am tempted to get some adjustable shocks though, but thats just because these pony cars ride stiff period (compared to my intrepid[8D]).