4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

swaybar hitting exhaust and diff cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
jeffdavis411
2nd Gear Member

Default swaybar hitting exhaust and diff cover

does anyone have a problem with their sway bar hitting their exhaust pipe(driver side) and rubbing on their diff cover when hitting large bumps?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: swaybar hitting exhaust and diff cover

ORIGINAL: jeffdavis411

does anyone have a problem with their sway bar hitting their exhaust pipe(driver side) and rubbing on their diff cover when hitting large bumps?
I see you have the Magnaflow Catback which I also have and yes I did have a problem with the swaybar hitting the tail pipes on the Magnaflow.

You have to figure out where it is hitting, I put some masking tape on the swaybar where I suspected the problem to be and drove around for a while.
Look at the masking tape to see if it is ripped, damaged and if so, that's where you are hitting.

Then move the pipes around until it no longer hits.

The clearence is really close in there and you have to get the pipes in just the right spot or they will hit.

As for hitting the rear differential, I have never had that problem.
It sounds like maybe the swaybar is either bent or broken.
They have a tendency to break at the weld points on the arms.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: swaybar hitting exhaust and diff cover

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffdavis411

[/blockquote]

I see you have the Magnaflow Catback which I also have and yes I did have a problem with the swaybar hitting the tail pipes on the Magnaflow.

You have to figure out where it is hitting, I put some masking tape on the swaybar where I suspected the problem to be and drove around for a while.
Look at the masking tape to see if it is ripped, damaged and if so, that's where you are hitting.

Then move the pipes around until it no longer hits.

The clearence is really close in there and you have to get the pipes in just the right spot or they will hit.

As for hitting the rear differential, I have never had that problem.
It sounds like maybe the swaybar is either bent or broken.
They have a tendency to break at the weld points on the arms.
+1 i had this exact same problem with mine it is an extremely tight fit jack it up and see where the exhaus is hittin mine was hittin the sway bar and the underside of the fenderwell i just adjusted it accordingly and it was good as gold....