4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad Stud ruining my lug nuts. Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
04StangSC
2nd Gear Member

Default Bad Stud ruining my lug nuts. Help

I have a bad stud that someone has ruined the threads on. Its tearing up my lug nut threadeverytime i put it on. Its to the point whereit wont go on at all anymore. Whatshould i do, can i just get a new stud put in? Let me know
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Stud ruining my lug nuts. Help

ya you can get a new stud pressed in, studs 8 bucks or so and install maybe 50, is it on the front or back
Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 PM
fobra570
2nd Gear Member

its a rilly ez fix i would just do it myself
Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

lug wrench, jack, and hammer is all you need. Take the wheel off, smack the bad stud out, nail the new one in flushand quit replacing lug nuts

oh and btw...no impacting it on...EVER
Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

why cant you impact it on? thats all we do at work? you cant it with a hammer in.... also you will have to take off the caliper and rotor to do it as well.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

why cant you impact it on? thats all we do at work? you cant it with a hammer in.... also you will have to take off the caliper and rotor to do it as well.
Impacting them on is fast and cheap, i know thats all ford does as stud repair. While it is possible, its not completely correct (here's why). The studs normal torque rating is ~100lb-ft, and impacting produces torque in excess of 200lb-ft. This compromises the strength of the threads. This is very similar to asking an engine builder to over torque any engine bolt, somethings bound to break. The torque specs are designed with the thread count, metal material in mind and the load the bolt recieves at any given time to prevent back-off/failure.Almost every automotive shop will impact your wheels on when done, but you wont catch a knowledgable gear head outin his/her driveway with less than a torque wrench and a set specification. Theres always multiple ways to do something, and sometimes it takes longer to do something the right way.

And I know for a fact you can hammer studs in on the front spindles, i installed 3" studs all the way around on my stang. In the opening behind the spindle and dust shield is a cutaway big enough to expose a studs head and contact the stud flat. I dont think he'll be working with an IRS though, and thats a whole other headache[8D]
Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

If you want to get really technical, you shouldn't use a hammer to put new studs in. You should use a stud installer... But, a lot of people use an impact to put them in.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ive yet to put new ones in on my mustang but i have on other cars and most times they dont have a big enough space to do that. you would almost have to take the whole hub off for that way on some of those ive seen, hell ive had trouble just getting the new stud through the hole for some of them. lol.. but what you are saying makes sense about the metal and the threads... although i have a weak impact that i use so i dont overtorque stuff. everyone always tells me my gun sucks at work but ive yet to break a stud from overtorquing. i think my gun will only torque to around 160ft's on its max setting but i keep it on 2 which is around 100ftlbs. and im the only one to use a torque wrench on wheels at pepboys.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

Impacting them on is fast and cheap, i know thats all ford does as stud repair. While it is possible, its not completely correct (here's why). The studs normal torque rating is ~100lb-ft, and impacting produces torque in excess of 200lb-ft. This compromises the strength of the threads. This is very similar to asking an engine builder to over torque any engine bolt, somethings bound to break. The torque specs are designed with the thread count, metal material in mind and the load the bolt recieves at any given time to prevent back-off/failure.Almost every automotive shop will impact your wheels on when done, but you wont catch a knowledgable gear head outin his/her driveway with less than a torque wrench and a set specification. Theres always multiple ways to do something, and sometimes it takes longer to do something the right way.

And I know for a fact you can hammer studs in on the front spindles, i installed 3" studs all the way around on my stang. In the opening behind the spindle and dust shield is a cutaway big enough to expose a studs head and contact the stud flat. I dont think he'll be working with an IRS though, and thats a whole other headache[8D]

whoops! lol
Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Just replace the stud. Smack it out with a hammer then smack it flush on the back side. If you impact your lugs on always go back and tighten them things with a torque wrench or breaker bar. I've had a few lugs back off the studs because they just impacted them on.