4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger install

lol nevermind I didnt read your edit.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmsjags

ORIGINAL: Sap

When you stay out of boost, your gas mileage does not decrease. When you go into boost you use much more fuel then not in boost (more air needs more fuel), thus its easy to go through fuel quickly when in boost.

If your looking to save gas a supercharger is not the way to go, its very hard to stay out of boost.

E.

yea i kno i'll probly be getting down on it all the time [sm=gears.gif]

my car's just not fast enough for me at the moment though and a supercharger's about the only thing that's gonna wake her up. i figure the procharger will atleast save SOME gas over the KB because i won't be in boost while cruising down the highway, etc. i also think it'll be a lot more fun to have the boost hit all at once rather than be there all along

*EDIT*: just checked the kenne-bell site and it says that the supercharger doesn't go into boost while cruising. i guess u have to push down on the throttle a certain amount before boost will kick in. dammit that just made my decision harder again!
Everyone that doesnt have a KB says its ALWAYS IN BOOST. Just because its instant boost... I would think it only hits its "instant Boost" when you go WOT. kinda like a Window Switch in a Nitrous set up?(again dont have nitrous just curious) Any KB's Wanna Chime in?? People on this site need to not give Advice about something they DONT have experience with..... "including me" it could end up changing someones mind about an important situation.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

ORIGINAL: jmsjags

ORIGINAL: Sap

When you stay out of boost, your gas mileage does not decrease. When you go into boost you use much more fuel then not in boost (more air needs more fuel), thus its easy to go through fuel quickly when in boost.

If your looking to save gas a supercharger is not the way to go, its very hard to stay out of boost.

E.

yea i kno i'll probly be getting down on it all the time [sm=gears.gif]

my car's just not fast enough for me at the moment though and a supercharger's about the only thing that's gonna wake her up. i figure the procharger will atleast save SOME gas over the KB because i won't be in boost while cruising down the highway, etc. i also think it'll be a lot more fun to have the boost hit all at once rather than be there all along

*EDIT*: just checked the kenne-bell site and it says that the supercharger doesn't go into boost while cruising. i guess u have to push down on the throttle a certain amount before boost will kick in. dammit that just made my decision harder again!
Everyone that doesnt have a KB says its ALWAYS IN BOOST. Just because its instant boost... I would think it only hits its "instant Boost" when you go WOT. kinda like a Window Switch in a Nitrous set up?(again dont have nitrous just curious) Any KB's Wanna Chime in?? People on this site need to not give Advice about something they DONT have experience with..... "including me" it could end up changing someones mind about an important situation.

I have personal experience with roots type supercharges like the kb, but on my ranger not a mustang. It had around 300 hp at the crank. Anyways, it didnt effect my fuel mileage unless i droveit very aggressively all the time. Even then it was about 1 mile per gallon difference. As far as the power felt, and going into boost at different rpms, i can tell you this: You will enter boost at different rpms depending on load. Example: cruising 5th gear 65 mph-no boost, about 10inch vacuum. Same gear and speed but pulling up a slight grade and you can watch the guage change from 10inch vac. to positive pressure depending on the grade and pedal. What im saying is basically this, fuel mileage wont be affected by either type of supercharger IF you can drive it conservatively. Otherwise, the instant you hit boost, bye bye dollar signs out the tailpipe. The procharger has a higher hp and can be intercooled providing lower intake temps. The roots type has a flatter torque curve than the centri making it more powerful in the bottom end which is nice for around town and stop lights. The centri has the same habits as a turbo almost having to "spool up" before entering the powerband. Im sure all ive done is complicated things more here but my goal really is to help.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

I've driven a few GT500s and they make instant boost right now when the pedal is pushed. No window switch or anything, as soon as the throttle is cracked, bypass is turned off, air is sucked into the blower, and the boost gauge moves into positive territory.

Its like im driving a huge displacement engine like a Viper. Its a pretty sweet thing.

But a centri will make just as much power for less $$ as long as you pull from 3k RPM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I love how this post started as a "how hard is it to install a Procharger" question to a "when do KB produce boost" discussion.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Chupacabra

Install is relatively easy if you only do the supercharger but I would recommend fuel pump upgrade at the same time. I had lots of problems maintaining fuel pressure with mine. Day and a half of install if you have never done one.

My gas mileage decreased very slightly since I was not producing boost most of the time.

I ran the P1SC on a 2001 but am selling it now.

The only thing I remember is them not telling me to cut the lower right hand bolt on the timing cover. It rubs on your belt if you dont. I also had to use spacers (washers) behind the mounting plate to get a perfect alignment of the belt. The oil plug is also in a bad spot and you will always get your engine dirty when you do change oil. Akward mounting of the air filter.