4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

camber/caster plates with springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default camber/caster plates with springs

OK, some of you may remember my last post, that i bought a set of MAC coil springs for a 2in drop. Well i had them installed, and didn't lower the front one bit, just the back maybe an inch, wasted 300 bucks total after installation, anyways, i was checking dallasmustang.com earlier, and the only set of springs i could find with a 2 inch drop were EIBACH springs, but it said that you HAVE to have the camber and caster plates for the springs. Could it be possible that my springs need camber/caster plates, i don't even know what they do, my springs are on the car now, but maybe with the plates i can get the 2inch drop i so desperately want................ ANYONE know anything about this
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 PM
JamesSocal
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: camber/caster plates with springs

Caster/Camber plates are for alignment. You have them stock, but they need to be replaced with aftermarket ones with more adjustment when you lower you car (stock ones wont allow enough ajustment with a 2" drop).
They will not effect the ride height of your car in any way.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 PM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

well with a 2in drop the reason they say you need c/c plates is because your front tires start to bow in a lil just a few degrees because of what the stock c/c plates were set for and therefore you begin eating up the inside tred of your tire basically you dont need them if you dont mind the excessive wear of the inside of your front tires
Old 04-20-2005, 01:23 AM
izoz351

Also I've heard it takes a while for the springs to settle. About a month in some cases so give em a chance to settle and I think you will be satisfied with the look.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:05 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

you should notice a difference when you get them tho but they do settle in a bit more
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

Not to hijack, but how much are C/C plates? Springs are next up on my list (cannot decide btwn Eibach Pro-Kit or Sportline).
Old 04-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

where did you buy these springs from? if you bought them off ebay or something, someone might have scammed you and sold you his freshly painted stock springs and you paid for him to buy lowering springs. I would contact the guy.

Just cut them down and be done with her. if they are stock springs of course. Changing springs is pretty simple. C/C plates has nothing to do with the amount of drop it just corrects your suspension geometry so you dont wear out your tires or ball joints prematurely.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Right, caster/chamber plates will have no effect on the ride height of your car. They are a necessity, however, when you drop your car 2 full inches. Otherwise you'll never be able to properly align your front end and your tires will wear out way fast. C/C plates have to do with realignment of your front end back to proper suspension geometry. Other front end parts can start to wear as well if you don't get this condition taken care of soon. You may have to also add a bumpsteer kit to further help your steering geometry. All springs will settle further as they seat themselves into the isolators and become adjusted to the rest of your suspension. You should have also installed new isolators at the same time, preferrably the urethane type. If your car truly has not lowered itself at all, then something is really wrong or you just plain got screwed by whoever sold you the parts.

They're right with Fleebay, somebody may have taken you for a ride and just sold you stock springs out of a GT that they had just lowered. May have even packaged them in the same box their new springs came in. Drive it a little and see if things start to settle out. In a week you may be surprised at the results. One other thing I've heard of is the front end scraping the ground from mixing up the front and rear coils......or.....having two sets of rears and no front springs. One last thing, lots of people out there not real happy with MAC products. There are better manufacturers but you have to pay for it.

Hope things finally "settle out" for you.